Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I've already made My thoughts perfectly clear on this subject..
Target date for the No. boat ramps to open is April 1st of 2018..
They got a LOT of work to do to make that...
The rest of the project is a big bunch of crap. :mad::mad:

·
Registered
236 Posts
They had the whole north boat ramp parking lot closed last week. I talked to a couple of workers on the other side of the lake and they said there would be 1.5 million cubic yards of dirt moved around before the lake is raised. That's sounds like an awful lot but you never know for sure until they start moving things around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We might like that, but that's not the plan. :-\

we can make it work... bucket biology baby BBB

On a serious note though, it's going to be a long walk to my favorite spot to fish :( Hopefully the ice holds up this season unlike the last.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
we can make it work... bucket biology baby BBB

On a serious note though, it's going to be a long walk to my favorite spot to fish :( Hopefully the ice holds up this season unlike the last.
I was talking about the trees and brush. It would be great to leave it but they'll doze it down all smooth-like to remove any potential hazards.

Don't need any bucket biology, there are panfish already in Chatfield that would do great given the right circumstances.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd like to see some of the trees and brush left in place and re-stocked with lots of crappies.
And Wipers! (but that will never happen either :mad:)

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I always hated Chatty until I spent a bit of time there learning it...... Now days I don't mind the place and can typically manage to do some catching...

Typically not always lol

Since the lake is like 5 minutes from my house I prefer to save gas$$ and fish there most of the time. If $$ was no object I'd rarely fish there though LMAO

As far as the plan to raise the level... I am all for it! I know they aren't leaving structure but should still create a new lake syndrome situation..... I hope!! :)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I always hated Chatty until I spent a bit of time there learning it...... Now days I don't mind the place and can typically manage to do some catching...

Typically not always lol

Since the lake is like 5 minutes from my house I prefer to save gas$$ and fish there most of the time. If $$ was no object I'd rarely fish there though LMAO

As far as the plan to raise the level... I am all for it! I know they aren't leaving structure but should still create a new lake syndrome situation..... I hope!! :)
Biggest DOWNFALL to the "filling" of the reservoir is the fact that "they might have enough excess water to fill the lake level maybe 2 out of every 10 years"
Those are BIG ODDS to face as they destroy what was once a beautiful area... :mad::mad:

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Biggest DOWNFALL to the "filling" of the reservoir is the fact that "they might have enough excess water to fill the lake level maybe 2 out of every 10 years"
Those are BIG ODDS to face as they destroy what was once a beautiful area... :mad::mad:
Yeah I agree with that.... I think the 2 out of 10 years you are saying is prob. going to be about right but you never know.... Maybe we will get lucky!!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Sounds like the same arguments the “drainers” make regarding Powell. Usually from faulty scientific arguments.

Colorado needs more water. I’m all for expanding and building new lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I don't live around there anymore, but from my 7 year experience in the state I was very impressed with the CPW and their management of the fisheries (and wildlife). From Quincy to Blue Mesa and everywhere in between, Colorado offered amazing opportunities for trophy fish of several species. I will always be partial to my home state of Michigan, but most of my PB fish were caught in Colorado.

A reason I still lurk is to see what guys like Slayer are sharing as they continually show what opportunities are available. Back in the day when Don started this site there were several other people who shared laker reports (and western slope) which was a real compliment to the fish that Slayer and company share.

I'm currently living in Arkansas, and have been blessed to live in several states because of my career, but can without hesitation say that Colorado was truly amazing and one of the best.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, basically what I was getting to is if they think they need to or its best to expand, I support it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't live around there anymore, but from my 7 year experience in the state I was very impressed with the CPW and their management of the fisheries (and wildlife). From Quincy to Blue Mesa and everywhere in between, Colorado offered amazing opportunities for trophy fish of several species.
How long have you been out of state? The CPW are slowly but surely destroying many of the fine fisheries you mention. In particular, Blue Mesa has been pretty much destroyed for Kokes, Lakers, and is beginning to be overrun with perch. No where near the fishery it was just four or five years ago. The death boats have taken their toll.

I imagine you will get a few other responses similar to this one. Sorry to rain on your rosy picture.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts