Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey couple college kids looking for help on what fish to target at chatfeild tomorrow. We had been bouncing, and trolling and jigging for walleys with no success, and havn't had luck with the smallies yet. Any clues on what's biting and where out there. By the way I just found this site, and it kicks #$% Thanx for any help

andy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey Andy,

I've done pretty good with the smallies in a few places at Chatfield....

the far side of the dam - near the small rocky point
just south of the swim beach
and the inlet where the river comes in (find the gravel bars)

Try small tube jigs, small rapalas (suspending style) or minnows, the biggest I got last year (18.5") I was carolina rigging a real nightcrawler slow on the gravel bars near the river inlet.

Today the water temp was around 53-54. The fish are getting more active but slow is still the way to go. I had some hits today on minnows and/or 1.5" tube jig under a bobber. I just let the surface chop give the jigs some action. It may seem a bit unsophisticated to use a bobber but if it works - it works! To me it just makes sense. Keep your lure/bait in the fish zone (and out of the rocky snags) as long as possible and you will catch a fish or two.

I also hear that the rocky shore along Massey draw can be good but I've never caught one there.

If you are into flyfishing, you can have some fun with a wooly bugger, leach imitation, clouser minnow or crayfish pattern. (You might even hook a carp)

Good luck,

J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx a ton, will give er a shot and see how it goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot only caught one though, probably this darn weather

andy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well....better than nothing. I went out Tuesday night with my daughter. I had a couple of hits but missed them both. I really wanted my daughter to get one but I couldn't buy her a bite. We moved out to check out to the roadbed to try for some walleyes. Then the wind came in and we wimped out.

J

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I think the best thing that would help the fishing at Chatfield is some nice weatherl. A few days of temps in the 60-70 degree range would really help. Every time I go out to Chatfield the water temp has been fluctuating. One day 49, 2 days later 53. Then a couple of days later back down to 49. The yo-yo effect has got the fish all confused.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts