Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raised in CO, but found passion in fishing in other parts of the world. So I come home live close to Chatty, and have been skunked from the shore in my last two outings. I can pull carp all day chatty seems to be rampant with them, but Im after smallies, LM, eyes,and trout.
Do I have to have a boat to better my chances, or do I have a good shot if I find the right spot from shore. Plan on heading up tonight to try again if the tstorms hold off.
Seriously any advice would help.

Throwin spoons near the inlet, and deading powerbait on the south marina side, skunkola

Thanks in advance for your help guys and gals.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Last summer, first time fishing at Chatfield, we done really good in the
"trout catching" area (Bows in the 16" range and two very nice 19" Browns). We fished in the No Wake area in 30 and 45 feet of water and used Canadian Nightcrawlers we bought at Wal Mart.
Cody

·
Registered
902 Posts
Walk the dam from the boat launch out to the tower throwing white and charteuse twister tails or deadstick minows near the tower. You'll get some smallies and maby a walleye or two-

·
Registered
246 Posts
Fished our Bass Club tourney there this weekend. The tower did well for me. I ended up in the top 15 of the tourney. Using craw tubes and small gulp worms. Unfortunatly the fish were in 35 ft of water. Your best bet is to go to the swim beach if you are only on shore. Thats where they will be bedding for the spawn. Try craws and tubes and lizards across the beds. You should pick up a couple of nice smallies there. And as always the point on the right side of the launch ramp should do well for some smallies. Fish the rocks all the way to massey draw. All can be done from shore. Oh and don't forget to use a suspending jerkbait!

·
Registered
680 Posts
my dad says he used to catch largemouth; he thinks that they are gone now....
I can't find any, just tried for some on sunday too.
seems like I was in a perfect spot for them in my float tube!
I can't catch walleyes for some reason, but I can attest to the smallmouth.
dam has some keepers; if u try fox run I think its called(almost need a tube or somthin thou)but i see shore fisherman their too. any way there is a nice population of 10-12 inchers(SM), fight real good too. caught probably a dozen in the last 2 seasons; not one keeper thou.
one last thing
try a 3 inch twister off the dam ;)
1-2 inch at foxrun

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanxs guys great tips, I still have no idea how to get down to the dam. I ussually go up Santa fe and go down triton rd till I hit the sign and go down to a swim beach and fishing pier. What I did do however, is just kept driving, and hung a right on some street, drove down and saw Waterton Canyon. Ohhhhh mama. went for about a 3/4 mile hike found a couple holes and one was just perfect. took off the shoes and socks froze my ass off, thank god I brought a towel! but threw about 10 different patterns of spinners, 5 different pattern of spoons, and got some REALLY nice follows from 4 different species of trout! Easily 18" on all of them, there was a HUGE brown who was bustin the surface, he drew my attention to the hole, where I continued to see fish for hours ;D it was a super sweet hole, so sweet I even wrote it down so I wouldnt forget it. But no fly gear makes fishing that stretch tough. I will however try to find that damn dam, if one of you nice folks would give me directions on how to get close. I mean the thing is freakin mamouth , should I take that next exit? Do you have to pay?
man Ill tell ya I caught some smallies out of the northern great lakes right off the tip of the lower peninsula of Michigan, hardest fiighting fish I have ever dealt with. Tore my drag up bad 3-5 lb fish taking upwards of 20 mins to bring in no sh%T! Anyways now Im just rambling on, thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey Fistfullafish

Take santa fe to c470 and head towards the mountians and get off on the wadsworth exit about 3miles maybe a little more then head south till you see the main gate at chatfield probley 1 or 2 miles, after you turn I belive its the secound light maybe 3rd , go threw the pay station then you have to turn right or left if you go right you head towards the titan road entrance if you go left you head towards the dam just ride it for about 5mins then bam there it is.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
Hey Fist fish the northwest boat ramps...fish small tubes or grubs on 1/8oz jigheads...and stick to it...the baits are AWESOME this time of year...you can catch smallmouth...walleye and even carp...trust me these baits work on this part of the lake...if you have any questions...personal message me :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats it..Wadsworth, thanks guys.... yeah I got yamamoto everything plastic, and a nice little salted tube kit, if that doesnt catch dem smallies, I may as well give up, well you and I both know that'll never happen, but hells yeah, thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts