Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove by Chatfield on C470 a couple of hours ago and it appeared to be completely ice covered, from the NW marina cove all the way across the lake. I'm sure that ice out in the middle isn't safe yet, but it will be growing thicker every day now!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Hell Standley Lake is mostly frozen. That doesn't happen much this time of year! However be careful out ther if you go! Don't let the cold snap fool ya! Good luck to the locals!

Jim

·
Registered
633 Posts
I fished the boat cove today and it was about 2 1/2-3 inches. 5 or 6 dark spots that looked sketchy. No fish in the hour we fished but did see a guy in an orange suit catch a couple of stocker bows. Didn't check any other areas on the lake. Be careful.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wow, thanks for taking the time Don to drive by on 470 and look out the window to see some ice on the lake. This is so helpful! Who would want to know how thick the ice is and where? Please, keep these kinds of informative and quality posts coming forever, and don't ever change.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
ice fisher said:
Wow, thanks for taking the time Don to drive by on 470 and look out the window to see some ice on the lake. This is so helpful! Who would want to know how thick the ice is and where? Please, keep these kinds of informative and quality posts coming forever, and don't ever change.
Heck I would of been happy if someone would of driven through the parking lot for me at Atown and reported saving me the trip...any report is better than no report...keep'em coming in all shapes and sizes...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
ice fisher said:
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

jim

·
Registered
509 Posts
chefaaron said:
Somebody pissed in your wheaties or what, ice fisher.
No, I would have notice that :eek:
I just thought I'd give Don a little grief for what I think was a lame post. It's been below freezing lately, of course there's going to be some ice cover on the lake. You don't even have to be in your car driving by the lake to know that much. Lake 1177 made a good post the other day about the ice at Chatty. He actually was there and got of his car, drilled some holes, and fished!
But hey, maybe there are plenty of people besides myself that like to hear about things from the windshield of a car or the comfort of a desk chair.
That's just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought some folks might be interested in knowing the entire lake was ice covered. It surprised me, and tells me that the middle areas might be fishable pretty soon. To me, that would be helpful information.

Sorry my report didn't live up to your lofty standards, icepuck. I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I post something.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I thought some folks might be interested in knowing the entire lake was ice covered. It surprised me, and tells me that the middle areas might be fishable pretty soon. To me, that would be helpful information.
Sorry my report didn't live up to your lofty standards, icepuck. I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I post something.
Nice restraint, you are a kinder, gentler GFYODF. ;D

BTW it is nice to know it has a full lid. Its a great vision only having to drive ten mins to go ice fishing, and not 2 hours.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
There is a TON of difference between shoreline/cove ice and the entire lake being covered with even a skim......as soon as all the open water closes up, the ice thickness seems to grow alot faster overall since the wind is not creating an upwelling effect of warmer water. Even from a distance any intelligent person should find usefulness in this kind of post.......unless you are just a D-nozzle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Was out there yesterday 12/10 for the afternoon ice was 4" thick in the marina area and around 3" on the west and south side, did not venture out too far, but the entire lake is iced over. Only had one bite right off the bat then nothing for the rest of the day. It was a reconnaissance trip so I don't feel bad about not catching anything...there will be plenty more days to come.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The ice is 4" thick at the swim beach as of 12/12. The fishing was alittle slow for most people but some nice trout were caught on crawlers and meal worms on green colored jigs. The fish were caught in 15 to 20 feet of water.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts