Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped the canopy on the tracker and was on the lake yesterday from about 4:30 p.m. to about 9:00 p.m.
The lake was as calm as glass as it rained. I didn't get a bit one! SKUNKED.

Even after I trailered the boat I walked back down to the bank and flipped crankbaits with an ever so slow retrieve; nada.

Eyeguy, Ed and the rest of you walleye aficionados; should I have stayed home, or was yesterday not prime fishing conditions for walleyes?

Somebody, pull this skunk outta my back hip pocket!

Pete

M

·
0 Posts
hehe, did u see me in my red poncho scrambling up and down the damn...alone and sad....with my keys locked in my truck?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Pete,

I thought I saw a tracker out there, green top... Was that you?

My neighbor/fishing partner wanted to go fishing before he departed town so we went Sunday. We got out there just as the rain started to fall. I caught a keeper on the rainbow Rapala newly equipped with death traps(Diachi), Glenn lost one, I had a hit on a Pointer, and within 30 minutes it all came to a halt for us. I had the top up, no back curtain, still it helps a lot, but we froze our buns off by the time we quit.

Terre

Y

·
0 Posts
Hey pete,

Were you the last boat out there? Me and my wife were out there from about 4:00 till 7:00. It started to rain just as we stepped out the house but my wife wanted to go real bad and I thought the walleye bite was supposed to be better in the rain so out we went. We were in the Spectrum aluminum bass boat with the pink and blue stripes(totally 80's, but we love it), we had rain poncho's over our yellow jackets,(hence the name). We saw you trolling the dam and were jealous because you were covered. We saw lots of fish on the sonar but only had one hit. We were each pulling a worm harness and then I tried jigging for them with curly tails and various plastics with no luck.

E

·
0 Posts
Hey...don't beat yourself up too badly!

Remember, the walleye are always about FORAGE.

Rain can be very good, but not necessarily any better than a bluebird sky day...which is supposed to be the WORST...but I have had 50-60 fish days in the boat with clear skies and 100 degrees at NOON.

Don't give up.

The weather patterns have been unstable and that makes water temps unstable...the fish are likely moving around in search of the warmest water..or......FORAGE.

When in doubt (in any weather), I look for these things:

WInd blowing against a shoreline and ESPECIALLY if there is a primary or (better yet) a SECONDARY point.

Rock piles

Submerged structure, or humps ESPECIALLY where there is FAST access to DEEPER water...

Remember that EYES are THE Predators! BUT they are LAZY!

They prefer to AMBUSH something, rather than burn calories CHASING it.

Thinl like the enemy...BECOME the enemy...Ooooops! THAT was hand to hand training...my bad!

;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I fished from shore yesterday 4/26 for about 2 hours. Threw floating jigheads and nightcrawlers and landed 3 eyes. 2 undersized and one at 19" which I released. Wind was really blowing!! Had to use 1/2 oz. egg sinkers just to get some range.

Tim

·
Registered
380 Posts
Eyeguy...I think your take on the old walleye may apply to alot of fish, that makes alot of sense. Especially the looking for the warm water with the temperature changing all over the place. Very insightfull. Do most lake fish behave the same way?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Eyeguy,
It was the don't give up comment.

Re Sunday, everyone knows most of the lake is pretty murky right now. Camera guys, how far down does it go? We graphed quite a few fish all over, suspended along the dam, on structure in the Plum creek area, along the roads, in the Massey draw gravel pit areas, getting to bite after the rain started was the problem for us... I graphed what might have been a thermal cline or break between muddy surface water and deeper clear water at 10 to 12 feet. Is it clear under that, how cold? The Massey draw area had the only clearer water at surface, and it was a little warmer 54 degrees verses 51-52 elsewhere. The people who fished it before the rain started were reported to have done really well. With the rain Sunday after noon what and what color should one be using? We trolled crank baits, jigged, bottom bounced, tried minnows and crawlers. We tried natural colors, orange, chartruse... One person I talked to said he caught many even after the rain started, trolling. We didn't stay till dark, but the swim beach area and the western flats / gravel pit areas have been good for me after dark in the past. There used to be a lot of crawfish south of the swim beach, the walleye seem to have thinned them out a bit. There is a lot of mud in the inlet way south, but one of the points just north of the southern picnic area has a gravel bottom which has fished well afterdark in the past, (in 3-7 feet of water). With more rain is on the way, what to try next?

Eyeguy, In my opinion it would be nice if you shared more specifics about your day fishing, rather then generalizations that might be applicable anywhere. Its not like you have to share your secret spots or bait. It doesn't look like the weather will cooperate this weekend for Glendo, but I would have liked to know where people were fishing, what was working for people, etc, etc. One year I was there I spent the two days in deep water not catching much when the fish were up in flooded timber and people were limiting out. It would have been nice to know what was up before hand.

Terre

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great feedback from all,

I'm thinking about taking some time off the during the third week in May and am deciding whether to head out to Powell for Stripers or to Glendo  (never been to Glendo) for Walleyes?  I've been to Powell a ton of times and would seriously consider Glendo for something new to do.

Eyeguy, without giving up your favorite holes, can you recommend areas of the lake to fish, places to camp (wind protected would be a plus) and specific strategies to hunt Glendo walleyes?

Pete

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Arent they up in the flooded timber this time of year chasing the spawning Perch?

E

·
0 Posts
Ok, first of all.....Talo-If you cannot see the benefit from what I am saying, you probably will never be a good walleye hunter....THAT or you ALREADY ARE better than me, and YOU should be the one posting!

The info I gave is VERY helpful IF someone is willing to USE THEIR BRAIN.

Second of all, I would be happy to help folks, but my posts are usually VERY specific, and especially the reports-so don't accuse me of trying to keep secrets, and ESPECIALLY not if you want more information....so Do you kick your dog, and then call him to you by name, expecting him to run to your side? (If you do, I'll bet you're SINGLE and stuck there for good!)

The directions I gave here are EXACTLY how I locate fish(walleye) in EVERY lake and reservoir I target.

Folks, NOBODY knows exactly where the EYES are going to be from day to day...THAT is why you need to develop a SYSTEM for LOCATING them and for ELIMINATING certain patterns until you dial in the one that is working.

Zman, your guess is very good. That IS where they were a little over a week ago...but as I stated above..they could be on rockpiles now...or staging off the damn...WITHOUT a system-you'll only LUCK onto a fish or two here and there.

FACT IS< I have caught 40 walleye on ONE day, and come back out the next day and been nearly SKUNKED...just because I was trying to stick with what worked the day before.....

BETTER to develop a system that WORKS and stick with the SYSTEM until you again locate these fish that are so willing to move and to change their own feeding pattern so rapidly.

Pete, I usually drop in at whiskey gulch, then head straight over to the rock wall...right across the main lake...I troll that wall and try to mark fish. They are usually active from 19-19 feet and they usually hit shad raps if they are going to bite at all.

Unlike he walleye down here in CO, I find that the WY eyes like a shorter, fatter offering-either perch color or shad.

If that does not pay off, I will head to airport bay, or muddy bay, and work the weed paytches with jigs..pitching thise into the holes in the weeds, and slowly ticking them around until I feel the jig go weightless...then I reel.

If THAT doesn't produce, I will go up way nort in the inlet and work the weeds adn corners there...and so on, following the pattern I laid down in the earlier post to the T....

I have a houseboat at Powell, and the walleye are usually very easy to catch there in May.

However, you will NOT see the SIZE or the NUMBERS you can get here, and in WY on a regular basis if you will systematically fish a pattern.

Stripers there are usually not all that turned on until JUNE, in my personal experience.

Good luck all....and stop kicking puppies! :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey, can we stop fighting like cats and dogs? Kiss and make up! :-*
Went to Chatfield Tue. Tried all along the dam, nothing. Tried outside the South marina with no luck. Finally , got into smaller eyes on the roadbed Southwest of the handicap peer. Caught about 6, 15"-17". Better than I've been doing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Eyeguy, In my opinion it would be nice if you shared more specifics about your day fishing, rather then generalizations that might be applicable anywhere.    Its not like you have to share your secret spots or bait.  It doesn't look like the weather will cooperate this weekend for Glendo, but I would have liked to know where people were fishing, what was working for people, etc, etc.  One year I was there I spent the two days in deep water not catching much when the fish were up in flooded timber and people were limiting out.  It would have been nice to know what was up before hand.

Terre :eek:  ???  :-X

Wow....... I was going to say something yesterday but I walked away from the post.
I just want to say Talo362..... What in the world do you want Eye Guy to tell YOU? Do you want him to put fish in your boat Too? All the post I read from Eyeguy ,he spills his guts out to trout (slimmer) hunter. So quit  blaming your short falls on others!
EyeGuy, this is what happens when you try to help People.... So please Eyeguy, I know you mean well but ratfield is crowded enough.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I love to fish, but I have seen fishermen on this forum who are far more accomplished than than I ever have been. Eyeguy is one of those, and I learn a lot from his contributions about using a system, as well as the tips from others on this board. IMHO, those types of comments are far more valuable than telling us where to go, when, and what to use. So, whenever anyone wants to share your photos and your advice, I'm all ears!

D

·
0 Posts
How about this for a concept?

Everyone shares what he/she is comfortable sharing and no one gets their knickers in a twist if they think it's too little or too much??

Personally, I'll take any help I can get. We all have different comfort levels with exactly how much info we share w/ a gillion faceless folks over the internet, particularly when it comes to the precise locations where we are catching fish.  I appreciate EyeGuy's willingness to share a whole lot of helpful detail and I understand why he might not want to go any further.

Just as I appreciate the detail Terre has provided in some of her posts. She's a very knowledgable fisherperson.

So...please continue to share.   Both of you.  Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Don In Denver said:
How about this for a concept?

Everyone shares what he/she is comfortable sharing and no one gets their knickers in a twist if they think it's too little or too much??

Personally, I'll take any help I can get. We all have different comfort levels with exactly how much info we share w/ a gillion faceless folks over the internet, particularly when it comes to the precise locations where we are catching fish.
I agree with Don learn what you can from the posts that are made, remember they dont have to post anything if they dont want. THey are giving their reports and advice free of charge, and the great thing is this isnt advice coming from someone fishing in Canada or New York or Texas its coming from someone out on the waters that are local to this state. So what if he doesnt give you gps coordinates to a spot on a lake, fish are constantly moving no 2 days are ever the same.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts