Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the South Platte at Chatfield today hoping the run was on and it is starting but not alot of fish spotted. Ended up catching 4, hooking five in 2 hours on a size 20 red midge. Nothing took the gray RS2. The water is high and no luck at the concrete structure below the bridge. Caught them all at the last deep hole above the bridge, where the tree was cut down. All males 14 to 16 inches. A guy I met said a 20 incher was caught this weekend on crawlers (and kept). I would wait another week. Quincy tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ahh yes, it's about time someone reported about the Chatfield Inlet. Sounds like things are starting to brew ove there. Anyhoot, thanks for the report.

1eyeReD

M

·
0 Posts
are u SURE quincy is opening tomorrow, i thought they generally did it on a weekend, last year i think it was the 7th...?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The web site for Quincy states it will re-open March 1, guess I'll find out for sure in the morning. It usually does open later like you said.

M

·
0 Posts
ya i just checxked and called the number, im pissed, my mom will not let me ditch scholl...imagine that, but they said i could for the spinney opening....

have fun, ill be there thursday

J

·
0 Posts
When you guys say the inlet... this is where the river flows into chatfield right? thats where the trout go to spawn right? is there parking right near there? ground muddy? This is my first year fishing chatfield... never been here durring the spawn - any tips/ advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Trout said:
yes it might be muddy
Ive never seen that inlet "not muddy" as far as the water color, except last fall when the river was a trickle, but closer to chatfield it still got browner

If You dont want to pay park fee, you can bike there pretty easy from waterton, but the trail has some snowpack, need fat tires! or is a nice hike & you can fish the river back .. waterton streamflow is 32.5 right now

i may head out there next week see whats happnin

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
also, I meant to say the ground is always muddy around snow season there. I made the mistake of trying to bike that trail right after snow melted, was a mess .. but a great workout to get to the inlet

I

·
0 Posts
Michael in Parker.. Once your in the park, to get to the inlet, go right and to get to the spillway, go left... Either way you run into both of them..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts