Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the great tips from everyone thought I would go to the inlet and try my luck with some lures. It was cold and didnt see many people. I thought I would take Walking Eagles advice and use a little blue fox spinner ( I liked the way it looked ). First time really fishing with lures. I went down almost all the way to the lake, started throwing that spinner around and wouldnt you know I caught a 14 inch rainbow after 5 or 6 casts! I was so excited, I struggled to get my camera, I had to get a picture of my first lure caught fish. Hands frozen I got my camera out and wouldnt you know, full memory. Actually my girlfriends camera. It was full of pictures from a recent vacation, and of course dont know how to erase anything. So I had to let her go with no picture. I got the camera thing straightened out right away and proceeded to go after my next trout. After about half hour I hooked into a nice 16-17 incher, this time I got a picture! Will post when I get an adapter sometime today for the computer. I was freezing after that and decided to head home proud of my two nice rainbows. Thanks for the tips everyone !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was also along the river around 11:30'ish and thought id try a few casts.  I didnt have my fly rod with me so I took along a few bright green and yellow rooster tails, some yellow power bait and my spinning rods.  landed a total of 7 trout ranging 12 inches to about 19 inches.  The chartreuse rooster tail seemed to be the hottest lure I had.  after I lost my rooster tails I tried out some yellow power bait and landed the 19 incher.  lost 4 lures today, landed 7 fish, kept 3 for dinner.  not a bad day  ;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I fished chatfield for 8 hours yesterday and 8 hours today fished mainly king fishers cove and the inlet also tried over by the docks this afternoon
tried
1) all my rooster tails u name the color i tried it
2)multiple colors of powerbait
3)night crawlers fished bottom and from a bobber
4)even through out a fly and bubble
5)kastmasters of different colors...
so of the 16 hours I fished the last 2 day I didnt catch a single one......I dont even wanna discuss it....WTF!!!!!!!!!
somebody help me out here obviously I am missin somethin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pitbull, I also drove around to different spots at chatfield today and was skunked in the reservoir. Try the river, you wont be disappointed. the holes closer to the bridge are usually taken by other fishermen. I actually walked upstream a ways till a found a nice hole with a few large rocks and a fallen tree in the water. You can see the fish swimming around the rocks and the fallen tree. Try your rooster tails there, if that fails try good'ole powerbait. bright yellow/green colors seem to be working best. Good luck and hopefully this helps some :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like pitbull i fished for four hours at the inlet on Sunday right at the lake and was skunked,but i know thats the spot,but glad you did well and i remember my first fish i caught on a lure and there is no better high than that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, those are some mighty nice looking trout. Think, until the lake water gets a little warmer (so we can put in our boat), we will try that inlet sometime soon.
Thanks for the info on the bait used and where you caught them.
Cody

·
Registered
863 Posts
CR1 said:
Pitbull, I also drove around to different spots at chatfield today and was skunked in the reservoir. Try the river, you wont be disappointed. the holes closer to the bridge are usually taken by other fishermen. I actually walked upstream a ways till a found a nice hole with a few large rocks and a fallen tree in the water. You can see the fish swimming around the rocks and the fallen tree. Try your rooster tails there, if that fails try good'ole powerbait. bright yellow/green colors seem to be working best. Good luck and hopefully this helps some :)
White Jeep Wrangler?? I was in the blue Wrangler

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Im gonna try some "scott martin" bass teqhniques there tomorrow or thurs ..... Ive noticed hungry trout act alot like hungry bass (or hungry fish in general so to say ... they love wounded prey) ... this last snow should have made em hungry im thinkin. esp. with the warm up, but this wont last long

gonna try a similar version of the "spot-remover" ..... i was at walmart, found a Foxeejig stand up head, float body jig ,,, dark chartreuse ... looks similar, but way smaller ... gonna try just slowly movin at bottom & stirring up dirt, jig body should stay suspended & has rattle .... if they dont work or if i snag em all ... who cares ... 3 cost under $2

I may even try a couple yum plastic craws .... Im sure big chatfield trout feed on crawdads AND the southwest end of lake has a decent shed of water for bass .. last fall that area was dry with lots of structure

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm going down to the inlet about 10am today to try my luck, may even go over tothe dam and try to catch some shad... If anybody's down there, say hello, Black explorer and I have a red Northface backpack. Good luck

Greg

Jamie, don' show up just to kick my a$$. ;D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fished the inlet this morning- sun up, big skunk, everyone there had the same story. Fished from the bridge up for about a mile and a half, super windy, but still no excuse for a skunk- didn't see a single fish?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I fished it yesterday afternoon and caught 6 rainbows between 14-18".. Lost 2 that were real pigs 20+.. It seemed that as the day went on, more and more fish accumulated in the holes. I went up about a mile or so and found a hole with quite a few nice ones in it. and concentrated there. Flyrod with egg patterns and a PTdropper. When I walked up from the bridge I didn't see a single fish until that one hole. Then as I made my way back downriver towards dusk I saw alot more fish with some making waves through the stream!!!

Tim

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
VolFan said:
I'm going down to the inlet about 10am today to try my luck, may even go over tothe dam and try to catch some shad...  If anybody's down there, say hello,  Black explorer and I have a red Northface backpack.  Good luck

Greg

Jamie, don' show up just to kick my a$$.   ;D
huh?? i like to fish and eat, not fight.. :-*

·
Registered
117 Posts
CR1 said:
I was also along the river around 11:30'ish and thought id try a few casts.  I didnt have my fly rod with me so I took along a few bright green and yellow rooster tails, some yellow power bait and my spinning rods.  landed a total of 7 trout ranging 12 inches to about 19 inches.  The chartreuse rooster tail seemed to be the hottest lure I had.  after I lost my rooster tails I tried out some yellow power bait and landed the 19 incher.  lost 4 lures today, landed 7 fish, kept 3 for dinner.  not a bad day  ;)
Hey CR1 if you wanna restock on Roostertails well Generic Roostertails haha. Dick's Sportings Goods in Thornton has cart's full of them for 50 cents each just to let you know.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Just hackin' on ya Jamie.
I fished the inlet, then the lake, then the outlet today, should've stayed at the inlet, had pretty good luck there in a few holes about a half mile above the bridge. Small silver mepps spinner with a squirrel tail and then a size 20 adams with a cdc dropper 12 in behind the dry, 6X tippet. Fish took the dry as often as the dropper, I think there were some BWO's coming off and the fish were taking the emergers near and at the surface. Saw a pig of a brown but no luck with her. Just about 10 14-16 in bows with few smaller and one at about 18 but skinny compared to the rest.
As I was leaving I thought I'd go check out the shad around the dam, but the wind made that a bust. So I thought since I was in the area, I'd try the outlet as well, but no luck there either on spinners, small rapalas or 4 in tube jigs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts