Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the lake after POUNDING some BIG walleye!

I wasn't going to go out today, but the muggy, overcast weather was calling me, and I am GLAD I DID! (Dinner will be EXCEELLENT!)

I have one that the Rangers measured at 30 1/2 inches in length...released three, 21", 22" and a 17".

Sunken roadbed wasn't happening as I expected...so had to try some other choices...everything ws happening off the dam...and NOBODY was fishing it...!

Maybe three other boats even trying to make serious efforts of trolling it....everyone was on the flats and the roadbed...saw a few people catching shorites there, but it's still too early for that shallow of water.

I caught ALL 4 fish between 20.6 feet, slow trolling a natural colored stickbait...they would only take the one type of bait, but they took it consistently.

Water temps varied around the lake between 51.5 and 56 degrees...water was stained and chalky looking by the tower on the dam.

I got on the water about 10:45, and left the boatramp at 1:15.

Better get out on the water!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way...if somebody can clue me in on the posting pics mystery (yes I have read the string), I will prove this piglet to ya~! :p

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
:eek:

I am quite jealous. Dag gummit, that's big!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 6'7" and about 275 lbs...so it IS bigger than it looks!

Hang that thang next to a small feller, and that'd do her more justice! ;)

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Eyeguy,

Thats a very nice fish! I was out today this afternoon with 5 kids - don't think that qualifies as fishing, especially since we did't put anything in the boat.

Terre

·
Registered
103 Posts
real nice EyeGuy ;D, I was there saturday, and the dam was the only place we had consistant action too. Boats were piled up on the roadbed, so went to what is left of the rookery(good at prespawn for me), scratched out a few under 18 there, buddy landed a fat carp at 12# with a bottom bouncer/crawler harness in the lip, so if you thought you had the big one, you were right, maybe wrong species though :eek: Lots of debris in the water and alot of trout slurping bugs off of the surface once the sun was up. Then off to the swim beach/deer creek area, a few more under 18, then to the rocks to wind it up and got them to go on wally divers and  rattle traps, but all in all, I think it is a post spawn bite for the eyes as all of ours were bleached out, and no smallies :'( Water temps were 48-50 on saturday, worst water color was everywhere around plum creek reaching almost up to the long run of rocks

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody!

Hey IronChef, that was a killer report! You don't play around, do ya?

We just got finished with dinner..homemade onion rings, fried zucchini and battered walley...chased her down with a couple of microbews, and I am a grateful Coloradan!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like a great day. Fishing the non beaten path is the way to good fish. Especially when you aren't getting the results you want with the other methods. I will be there Thursday and give it a try.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a Rapala, natural colored stick bait...belive it or not, it was a shallow runner, trolled about 2.5 miles per hour on mono, in 20.6 ft of water on the dam.

Geeze....see how I am???

I never could keep secrets from girls! ;D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
beautiful...3..maybe four more paycheck and ill be floating instead of walking, maytbe i can get into that kind of action

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is one heck of a fish!!!! My Daughter and I were out there all day on Saturday and didn't get anything except sunburned...... :-[

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
" 3 0r 4 more paychecks and maybe I'll be floating instead of walking. Maybe I can get into some of that kind of action"....

WHAT???

MUSTANG, DON'T FOOL YOURSELF. You can buy a boat and go fishless JUST AS OFTEN.

This fish was caught where ANYONE could have reached from the bank, had they just worked at it. SAme with the others, yesterday.

This is what kills me...most bank fisherman I see at the lakes, are sitting still waiting for the fish to come to them...

If YOU were being hunted down, would you walk right over to a couple of loud guys crushing their beercans on rocks and ASK them to slaughter you?

A pair of waders is all you might need to get to these walleye at Chatfeild right now...it is POST SPAWN and the females have moved just off of their beds and are stacked up along the dam.

A boat makes little difference....the right PRESENTATION is the KEY.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ACTUALLY, it was IGNORANT!!!!

I am SO SORRY!

I looked at your profile, and realized you are NOT a girl!!!!!

I spend a TON of time in Mexico, and Central & South America...I was making an ASSumption based on your handle...in the Latin countries, anything that ends in the letter "a" is feminine....BOY do I feel ike a JERK!!!

My apologies Nawanda! Or shoudl tha be NawandO ? ;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Eyeguy, LOL....the old GENDER endings....wow....I shoulda thunk-a-that when I picked my name!

and to think I ASSumed you were full of humor, wit, and a great fisherman to boot! Didn't you watch the DEAD POET's SOCIETY with Robin Williams, where the guy in Prep School tells his buddies, "From now on, you guys call me NAWANDA? But, then again, NA-WANDA could be a form of .....-Wanda.....I am so ashamed for myself...Why if I wasn't a self-proclaimed expert KNOW-it-all, my self-esteem would be in the cellar right now. But anyway, I'm gonna go upstairs and get out the Potato RICER and Rice some potatoes, bake the trout, and steam veggies and watch TV. Meanwhile, I'll wipe my eyes with Kleenex, not because you thought me a girl, but because you done caught a bigger fish this year than I did....oh the SHAME of it all.....(((SNIFF!)) (((SNURF!)))

But...I digress. You have thrown down the Gauntlet, and I accept your challange`. I weel catch Large Feesh, you weel see Senor EyeGuy, and I weel prove that I am a big-headed, large-mouthed know-eet-all, with an EGO as huge as my brains are small. So there!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts