Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Chatfield / Plum Creek 03/27/06 w/ Pics .... huge fish got away

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  silicone boy 
#1 ·
fished plum creek inlet for bass, water was decent for such a small creek. had plenty of hits using Gulp 3" minnow texas rig, but never hooked any, fish nearly kept tugging minnow off hook... bass probably, who knows - never actually saw them .. probably too small for them to bite a big hook

then moved to edge of lake and had 1 rod with walleye nightcrawler rig & float indicator. tried various lures on other rod

as soon as crawler was in water it hooked up with a nice sized fish ( i was tying a lure on other rod when it hit the worm). I didnt set hook very good & all I got was a glimpse about 6 ft away thru some brush before it spit hook. looked like a trout or  possibly a walleye.

i had a couple huge hits using a rattlin shad spoon, fish only stayed on for a few seconds ... they felt very big though

wind kicked up about 5pm and I was about to leave, decided to try one more fresh worm while i packed up ... then BAM ... a huge fish was on the line, I only saw about 1/3 of its body and it was a monster, probably a carp judging by its size, was probably 30 inches and HUGE - its side was probably 6 or 7 inches wide ... the walleye rig snapped after a couple minutes, I almost landed it quick (float was about 10' away), but when it hit surface it freaked out and took off, drag was a little to tight, i even tried to loosen it up while fightin ... oh well, my pulse soared for sure.

I had to try again, but instead tied on one big hook w/ worm & float (no store bought riggin this time), and hooked a 10" rainbow. I actually thought that big fish was back & yanked the bow completely out of water when i set hook .. was pretty funny .. released the bow.

Then i tried again and caught that sucker, ugly SOB - he did put up a good fight though.  biggest sucker ive ever seen

It was weird, the fish wouldnt bite worm anywhere but that exact spot, not even 2 ft away. Im thinking it was a deep area by creek channel. I had worm in water for almost an hour with no hits & when i put it where i caught the first one, it was almost nonstop bobbin until it got dark ... what a great afternoon .... enjoy the pics!!

See less See more
#5 ·
catfishking said:
nice fish did u keep the sucker for bait or let it go were u fishing right where the creek goes in
i was in some wetland for sure, was standing in those marshy bushes. kind of by where creek goes in. i wish i had waders on, got a little cold for the feet. went as far as I could without going over ankles

the ducks & geese kept scarin the hell out of me too, would come outta nowhere flying at mach speed

I saw some guys in a boat on other side of thicket, were yelling like they kept missing fish

#10 ·
Rome said:
had plenty of hits using Gulp 3" minnow texas rig, but never hooked any
Dogkatcher,  I'm not an expert, but i have noticed that if you are getting hits but not hooking fish, then the best thing to do is to 1) downsize (i went to a 2" gulp minnow), 2) change color, or 3) do both.  It works almost every time for me.
Only had the 3" with me, I should have used smaller hook but i was hoping a wopper was hiding in there .. I was going to try some smaller lures but wanted to get closer to lake & was running out of time.  I bet a roostertail woulda hooked em up easy. I think a short drop shot rig probably would have worked better also, was kinda mossy/leafy in deeper areas.
Also, my phone rang for business & ended up talking for 10 minutes next to creek, then there were no bites at all  ... hmm

#11 ·
gotmuskie? said:
Its always the big ones that get away, at least they feel big right? 
The worm hookup was obvious that it was big when i set hook - it didnt really move around until it hit the surface then I think it knew what was going on and took off & broke off. On lures they felt snagged actually, until they started moving. those fish were about 40-50 ft away & moved quite a bit, was hard to keep line tight or set hook. was using heavier kastmasters & rattle spoons, was tryin to cast into lake from bushes & with a fast retrieve to keep the bottom junk off lure (leaves/moss/plants).  They would hit it sooner than later too, but would never hit if it had junk on it ... i could tell when it hit the junk too
i did have a couple bad snags but managed to break free, I did bring in one stick pile that was causing problems, thanks to the 15 lb braided P-line

#12 ·
I went back here yesterday, i think stormfront made it a weird day .. and BAD WORMS ... was closer to lake this time, wadin as far as possible thru thicket ... lots of waterfowl around makin noise

could see fish everywhere (like sunken torpedos ) .. but catching was off, was pretty bright out but lots of changing wind & clouds, then some rain then sun ... very hard to cast with bushes, limbs, sticks blowing around so I just relaxed & let the floats goto work

one bite on crawler

Sundown is great if the muskrats dont show up ... fish took off from shallows quick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.