Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished the dog ponds below the dam from about 4pm to about 6pm and caught 10 fish; Bluegill, Crappie, and LM Bass.  Fishing was OK if you can put up with all the dogs in the water and their owners who don't care one bit.  The biggest thing I almost caught was a St. Berbard.  This guy let his dog swim out into the water right across my line and get tangled in my line, until he managed to get loose and tangle my line in some bushes as he exited the water.  Thanks :mad:, and after being there only 10 minutes.  I hate to sound like a complainer on my first posting, but I couldn't take it anymore.  I had to leave.  So I went to the ponds south of the reservoir near kingfisher and caught 10 more fish until it got dark: Bluegill and Lm Bass.  All in all a good trip despite all the dogs. :)

I was catching all my fish (and dogs lol ) on a worm and a bobber.  Unfortunately nothing was over 12 inches,  but still fun to catch something.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi Family Guy -- Welsome to the board and thanks for your post. I run my dogs at CField three-four times a week and understand what you're up against. Still, you gotta understand that these ponds are in the middle of an off-leash area, so next time you'll know what to expect. In seven years, I've seen thousands of dogs at CField and am very impressed with most owners -- friendly and conscientious.
Your post didn't mention it, but I'm betting you had no dog problems at the south ponds. So next time, you'll know what to expect. Best advice: early mornings and evenings, on weekdays. Or go south. Good luck!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey familyguyfan I was there as well with a couple buddies and my son I talked to you. We didnt have any luck one perch and my son was knocking the blue gill dead ;D but Nice to meet you ;D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lets not forget people that dog area at chatfield is a DOG TRAINING AREA not a let my dog of the leash and let it run where it wants. Thats why I cant even take my German Short Hair there to train her is to many people let there dogs run like crazy..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big_Blue said:
Hey familyguyfan I was there as well with a couple buddies and my son I talked to you. We didnt have any luck one perch and my son was knocking the blue gill dead ;D but Nice to meet you ;D
Were you the guy with the minnow bucket and airator? I'm glad to know your son was able to have some good luck. It is always good when the kids are able to have fun and catch fish. That way they will hopefully be hooked on fishing for life.

·
Registered
431 Posts
No no minnow bucket. I was the guy woth the broncos hoodie on. You were fishing the pond on the left? right at the start by the downed tree stumps yes?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I was, I was the guy with the avalanche hat. I remember you now. It was good talking with you. Even with all the dogs jumping in the water, it is hard to resist fishing ponds that have so much sunken timber. It makes it so much easier to locate fish when there is good structure you can see.

·
Registered
431 Posts
awesome well nice to meet ya  ;D Oh I went back today and tried your spot nothin  :mad: a buddie caught a 4inch large mouth in the pond on the right tho  ;D yeah people and there dogs. they need to watch them one almost attacked my son the other night.......
Hooked oh hes hooked on fishing has been for years look at the LMB he caught on Sat.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
there is an area across the road that is reserved for serious dog training.try that for your short hair cbass.also family guy there are some nice ponds farther south that have lotsof fish and are not open off leash dog park this way your interest wont conflict.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I hate to turn this into a debate, but you can tell the difference between the folks that are training hunting dogs and the folks that let their $2500 chocolate lab out of the back of their Eddie Bauer edition Explorer to run where they like. I thought that I read on the sign near the restrooms you can't allow your dogs to interfere with other activities at the park. Also, some are very aggressive. I love dogs, but I'd hate to think what I'd have to do if one went after my 7 year old.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
explorer chocolatel lab what difference does it make its a dog park one of the few places in town that dogs and there owners can have some fun with out all the hassles or at least until some dude decides he just has to fish one of those ponds, lgombos ive been going there for a long time and have never seen any problems not between the dogs or with dogs and people so relax, if you need to train your hunting dog theres an area just for that right across the street.

·
Registered
219 Posts
littlemac said:
explorer chocolatel  lab what difference does it make its a dog park one of the few places in town that dogs and there owners can have some fun with out all the hassles or at least until some dude decides he just has to fish one of those ponds, lgombos ive been going there for a long time and have never seen any problems not between the dogs or with dogs and people so relax, if you need to train your hunting dog theres an area just for that right across the street.
My fishing isn't going to ruin your dog's fun, but your dog's fun will probably ruin my fishing. But, I guess you're saying that since it's a "dog park" (it isn't - it's a hunting dog training area as evidenced by the signs directing you to use only approved bird decoys) that I should just fish somewhere else. Fair enough, I'll fish somewhere else. I've been going there since '95 and I've seen more than one dog fight, and I've seen more than one dog back a person down. I even saw a little girl get bit. I guess I was imagining the giant Newfoundland that knocked over my poles while his owner yelled his name over and over again. I will concede that you're right in that this area is what it is and it's probably not responsible for me to take my kids to a place where people let undisciplined dogs run free.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey lgombos,
I've got to agree with you, there are many dogs there off leash, that really shouldn't be. My brother takes his dog there, a rather dumb beagle and it runs around close to us, harmlessly enough and manages not to bother anyone at all. The dog usually stays near us while we are fishing.
Almost without exception, one of the more aggressive dogs out there that you speak of, will come up and try to start some trouble (now, this may be the exception of the total number of dogs there, but almost without exception, there seems to be at least one, each time out).
Even when I've gone there without a dog, it doesn't take long to witness someone's dog acting aggressively. The problem is, unless ones' dog is trained to obey and respond to its owner, it shouldn't be off of a leash in public, no matter where it is at.
I also agree that one persons enjoying the area should not adversely effect anothers ability, to do the same. There is plently of room for dogs to run free and for fishermen to fish. A "responsible owner" should no more allow his/her dog to run through a fisherman's gear or take a plunge right next to them, no more than a fisherman should refrain from casting a daredevil or snagging hook either near or in response to the owners/dogs action, :).
The people who let their dogs (again, the ones that don't mind) run wild, are of the same mentality as the boating and jet skiing Rodney Dangerfield types, out on the main lake. They are either completely ignorant, irresponsible or simply don't care, as long as they are having a good time. Sad but true.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well said, FishinBud. Ironically, I had my dog out there that day. He lays down right at my feet and keeps to himself. If I didn't have complete control over him, he'd go right on the leash.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a nice LM bigblue.

littlemac said:
one of the few places in town that dogs and there owners can have some fun with out all the hassles or at least until some dude decides he just has to fish one of those ponds
I don't remember seeing any signs that say no fishing in those ponds.  If they didn't want people fishing in those ponds then why are there fish in there in the first place.  I have as much right to be there as you.
I don't have a problem with dogs, just a problem with the lack of respect and disregard for other people and there personal property.  There were plenty of dog owners that were there that were nice that I talked to and others that kept there dogs under control, unfortunately there were also several people who just didn't care what there dogs did.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
well i guess youve both seen alot more hassels than i ever did, ive also been going there  since 95 im now on my third set of dogs and can honestly say never had any problems.but seriously if you look directly across from the first parking lot there is an area reserved for traing hunting dogs, if i were serious about training my dog to hunt thats were id take him.as far as fishing i guess thats up to you i know theres alot better places to go would be like trying to fly fish at washington park and complaining that the runners were interfering with your backcast. i mean seriously some places just arent real conducive  to what you want to do. sorry guys i just enjoy having a place to let my dogs run  theres not a whole lot of them around.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
It is a multipurpose area, open for walking, fishing, biking, wildlife viewing etc. There are very few activities which are not permitted at the dog ponds, such as boating, model airplanes, swimming to name a few. Fishing is not on the list.

This is the only portion of the park that permits dogs to be off leash. Dog owners/handlers are responsible for their animals and are to be under the owners direct control at all times. Being in an off leash area does not permit dogs to be allowed to run wild.

The owners/handlers are responsible for the animals behavior and actions. If they are not controllable without a leash then they should be on a leash.

Animals should not be allowed to interfere with the activities of of other users of the area. Including biking, picnicking, fishing, walking, wildlife viewing etc. Allowing your dog to run through the water and tangle fishing lines is the same as fishing right ontop of another person and not giving them reasonable space.

By the same token if your your dog is swimming or running in the water its not my perogative to start fishing in that same position and have no regard for you. I guess the thng that applies is whoever was there first has right to continue his/her activitiy without being chased away by someone else.

Just my opinion.......... :)

Dan

·
Registered
219 Posts
atownbasser said:
There are dogs at the dog ponds?  I would call the ranger! :D  What do you guys expect at a dog park?
The fact that some inconsiderate dog owners took over the area and started calling it a "dog park" doesn't make it one. I know there's a very large off-leash area below the dam. The section that Littlemac is referring to across the parking lot is an open field. That would be suitable to train your dog to hunt upland birds and rabbits. If you're a waterfowl hunter, it would make sense to train your dog in a body of water. My comment about Eddie Bauer Explorers and Chocolate labs was a little pointed, but I'm trying to emphasize that there are a lot of people that see an off-leash area and take advantage to the point of abusing the rule. I've seen people training hunting dogs. They sit very still at the owner's side (so as not to scare off ducks/geese?), then swim out to the decoy and bring it back to the owner's feet. Very different than the dogs that I was referring to. You're supposed to keep your dogs under control. There's something wrong if I have no idea who you are, but I know your dog's name from hearing you shout it across the lake for 10 minutes at a time. Take responsibility for your animal if you want to take it out in public. That's all I ask.

Regarding Washington Park and the joggers, I'm sure you'd have a problem if joggers had a habit of running through your poles and swimming through your line.

Telling me to find somewhere else to fish because they think I shouldn't be fishing in a "dog park" illustrates my point. Our license fees paid for the fish that were put in those ponds. I'm sorry I brought it up. I'll ask a ranger the next time I see one. If he tells me to fish elsewhere, then that's what I'll do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts