Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a vacation day and fished Chatfield Area by shore. Been a while since I've been here so I wanted to hit a lot of water.

Started at the north boat ramp area at 6 AM for smallies throwin' tubes and some spoons. Got nada and moved on. Temps were real cold that morning compared to days before.

Never fished the spillway before and heard some crazy things. Threw a few casts and got a decent walleye on a #3 BF spinner.

Moved on to the Dog Training Ponds by 7AM. Caught some small bucketmouths and one decent 14'er. Threw tubes, grubs and stickbaits...stickbaits got 'em.

[img]http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/9130/04dogpondsa4ot.jpg

Dog traffic literally ran me off here by 10 AM and I moved to the 4 south ponds. Wind had kicked up mixed with spots of sunshine. Covered all 4 ponds the rest of the day casting all sorts of stuff and only got chased by a few fry.

Except!!!...this fricken rainbow trout on the first pond. This trout hit a rebel crankbait in the crawdad pattern. Never heard of trout even being in here let alone have one hit a crankbait...Kraaaazy!

Biting down on three hooks was enough torture for this guy. I snapped the pic of him in the water and released right there with some pliers. The green slime takes a bit away from the shot but still pretty funny to see.

Other than dog and bike traffic I had the place pretty much to myself. A few fishing boats but the rest of the place was wide open. Colors are real nice too. That kinda makes up for the slow fishing.

[img]http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7193/10chatfielda0ri.jpg

Weekday fishing is pretty sweet when you can get it. Especially this time of year.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Nice job Matt...love the last scenic picture...

I had been wondering if there were any holdover walleyes down in the spillway even though they havent been running water...you answered the question for me...thanks!...

Nice fish too!...lots of dogs down there that is for sure...

·
Registered
117 Posts
nice job. what a great way to spend the day fishing by yourself, nature,fish and the great scenery :)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha Glad to see you did better then me I went this morning to the lake right next to my work to see if I could catch a couple of catfish. I casted out the chicken liver and sat down about an hour of the cold I heard the bell on my pole, picked it up, felt the weight of a fish and set the hook. Reeled it in and it was a 10inch trout... the only thing I could think of was a crawdad was carrying away my chicken liver and the trout carried him away when I set the hook the crawdad let go and hooked the trout. I was to cold to keep fishing so I packed it up after that.

F

·
0 Posts
great report matt...its nice to see that your not stuck in the same rut I was in when I had that golden ticket to hunt in the zoo

M

·
0 Posts
finally, someone besides me hit the dog ponds, good fish

i havent caught a trout out of the other ponds and i fished them all last summer, i swear there is a shark or somehting in one of those ponds there, good job!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Boy, those are some great looking photos!!
Perhaps you can give me some "photo posting" help:
What did you use to get those photos on the Forum? What ever you used, how to you use it?
I'm really into photography and have a couple of
"fishing photos" that I would like to post on the Forum.
The last time I "tried" posting a photo on the Forum, I used the Photobucket website, but Dan still had to help me post a photo.
Thanks
Cody (cowboy)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
cowboyfisherman said:
Boy, those are some great looking photos!!
Perhaps you can give me some "photo posting" help:
What did you use to get those photos on the Forum? What ever you used, how to you use it?
I'm really into photography and have a couple of
"fishing photos" that I would like to post on the Forum.
The last time I "tried" posting a photo on the Forum, I used the Photobucket website, but Dan still had to help me post a photo.
Thanks
Cody (cowboy)
Cody let me give this a try... I'm guessing you figured out how to upload your picture to photobucket, I personally like http://www.imageshack.us/ better since I can access it at work and its easy to upload and you dont need an account. Just click the link, click browse, find the picture on your computer, click host, once its uploaded it will give you a bunch of links, copy the direct link (it should look something like this: http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/2831/post6aj.jpg make sure you dont copy the one with all that extra stuff)
Then click the little picture box, it looks like this:

This will put the following stuff on your post,

Code:
[img]
paste the direct link you copied from the website inbetween the code it posted so it looks like this,
[img]
That should be it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts