Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was thinking about hitting the Chatfield ponds this weekend for a chance at some bass. I've never fished there before. Any suggestions on lures/bait? Are there crappie or bluegill in them? Also, is there a fee you have to pay to get into the area?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Feel free to email me through the site as well.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Pea - I was there last weekend and did well for crappie with a 1/16 oz jig head with a WHITE exude mister twister twisty tail grub on my micro light 1-4lb.

;D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
park by Waterton & take a bike to get around faster

A bike also helps when you have to run from mosquitos, i got chewed up real bad one afternoon

I caught a tiny bass at the smallest pond inside chatfield by the bridge over s platte

only caught crawdads in the other ponds by waterton, caught em with rubber powerbait worm

At least you can go to the river if you dont catch anything in the ponds. the ponds below chatfield are ok, if you dont mind dogs running around loose. one dog almost jumped on a trout i had stringed up, dog didnt like my rod wipping at him though, neither did its owner

·
Registered
177 Posts
I caught a black lab there last night ( and some bluegill, crappie, and largemouth) I was using crawlers with no weights, hoping for bigger crappie but only caught small ones (any hints?). Later I walked over to the spillway and honestly thought I was going to be attacked by a pitbull. I saw a brown dog running my way and heard the owner calling for it... well it was a damn pitbull that ran up to me snarling and snapping, circled me three times like I was a meal. I was bracing for the attack, the owner is lucky I didn't have a concealed carry permit with a gun... or it was dead. VERY scary experience.

Kevin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pointers guys. I hope to enjoy a few hours fishing this weekend. Hopefully I won't have to put up with that pitbull. ;)

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I went to the upstream ponds Friday night. The big one right across from the King Fisher parking lot. The boy and I got into the smallies and perch pretty good. We used 1/64th ounce Trout Magnet jigs about 3 feet under a bobber. Reel it in SLOWLY - barely moving. Very peaceful, plus when it's calm, the water makes a mirror for the foothills. I'm sure there are LM bass there, and I heard there were catfish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts