Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Chatfield Saturday 9/3 AM

975 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cowboyfisherman 
#1 ·
Was on the lake and across from the Swim Beach area
(47 feet of water) at 8:15 AM.
Wow, the Rainbows started biting like crazy!! Heck, we didn't even have all three of our rods in the water before we got a bite and hauled in a nice Rainbow.
For the next 2 hours, we reeled in 6 nice Rainbows and lost 4 others.
Other than our nice Brown Trout catches this summer, this was by far the best "trout fishing morning" we have had this summer.
Cody (cowboy)
P.S. All trout taken with Canadian Nightcrawlers from Wal Mart...........they were very hungry.

#3 ·
FishEyes

This is how we rig:
Single hook on 10 lb. line
One nice size live nightcrawler
Two medium size spit shot about 3 feet up from the hook
Drop the line into the water off the side of the boat
How deep do we let the bait go down.......not really sure, but it is probably about 20-30 feet.
Our sonar has been showing these Rainbows at all depths in the 47 feet of water we were in.
Hope this helps
Cody (cowboy)

#6 ·
Hi zman!

Yes, it was a great morning of trout fishing.....that is for sure.
We grilled one of the trout last night for supper. Boy was it good.
I go in for my pre-surgery consultation with my doctor, x-rays and blood test this coming Friday 9/9. I have my surgery on the following Wed. AM (9/14). I will be in the hospital for a couple of days, then be at home for about two weeks recuperating. We will probably take our boat out one more time, next Saturday AM, but not to fish, just to cruise around CC with Husky with us. Ater that, we will take the boat into the Dealer for "winterization".
Cody (cowboy)

#7 ·
Cody,

Sorry to here about a hospital visit, but in my opinion it is too early to winterize (there is good fishing in the fall). In upper Michigan my Grandpa used to put 100 watt bulbs in the engine compartment to keep his IO from freezing well into November. A small electric heater under the boat cover/tarp melts the snow and keeps things from freezing also. With outboards just put the motor in running position to let the water out.

Terre

#8 ·
with an I/O get some of those "ears" for flushing and run a few gallons of RV antifreeze thru or better yet rig up a tub you can tilt you lower unit into and run a bit each time you come back ther are lots of places to fish all winter

#9 ·
Last year i fished Chatfield from the boat till the day after thanksgiving. If your rehab goes well you should be able fish at that time. But an earlier winter than last year could be a problem. And you certainly don't want to take a chance of falling right after hip replacement.

Hope you have a good time this weekend.

Dan

#10 ·
Thanks for thinking about me guys, but we think we will be ready to the boat up for the season. If I wasn't going to have this surgery next week, we would definitely do some more "lake fishing" with it.
And, Dan, your absolutely right, I don't want to take any chance in having something happen to the new hip just because we have a "passion for fishing".
If we want to do any kind of fishing during the winter months, we will do it from shore.
Cody (cowboy)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.