Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 6am until 9am...threw Rapalas at them and nothing...cold front perked them down?...fortunately I had some leeches in my backpack from Aurora...caught six walleyes; 1 at 19 inches, 2 at 17 inches, and 3 in the 14-15 inch range...the bite was really light almost indectable...and it helped to read a magazine too...baked walleye, mashed potatoes, corn and movies on tap for a rainy monday...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Yeah, i was thinking of going there thursday morning about 6 am...after my last weeks experience there i am going to take something to tip my jigs with...leeches sound like the best bet...

thanks for the report!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had better luck tipping jigs with crawlers...they stay on better in the river current...take the casting abuse much better...but it is personal preference...the flow is back up too...so fishing should remain good...although the cold rain going out there probably wont do fishing any good there for a couple of days...Thursday looks good...good luck!...kind of funny I tried casting some of your Clouser Minnows there this morning too...I had bought some to try casting on 4 pound line at Aurora for the cruising wipers...the bigger ones are heavy enough to cast pretty far on four pound line...the walk around the current nicely...but no luck on those either...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I thought about putting on a sink tip line and throwing some clousers there also with my fly rod, but since im relatively new to this walleye deal i figured id stick with the stuff that is a known producer. ive caught a few at Union by accident on clousers, but i would think i would have to get them running closer to the bottom to work consistantly on any walleye that were about.

how deep is the water at the spillway? im sure its deep at the mouth...but i wonder what the depths are farther down before it spills out the end in the rapids?

ill keep the crawler idea in mind...they are cheaper than leeches, which is good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts