Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished it Monday morning from 6 am until 9 am...4 walleyes and a smallmouth...missed three others...biggest 19 inches down to 15 inches...bass was about 15 inches...using Rapalas...

Went back Tuesday night...didnt get there until 7:30 pm...water level has dropped a foot or two...they arent running as much water out of Chatfield...and as a result the fishing was much slower...3 hits and two walleyes only about 16 inches on Rapalas...fished until 9:30...kind of weird...fish were caught in daylight...no hits after dark so I gave up and got some sleep...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Rainbow pattern?

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rainbow and Firetiger...floaters...size 11...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
zman said:
Fished it Monday morning from 6 am until 9 am...4 walleyes and a smallmouth...missed three others...biggest 19 inches down to 15 inches...bass was about 15 inches...using Rapalas...

Went back Tuesday night...didnt get there until 7:30 pm...water level has dropped a foot or two...they arent running as much water out of Chatfield...and as a result the fishing was much slower...3 hits and two walleyes only about 16 inches on Rapalas...fished until 9:30...kind of weird...fish were caught in daylight...no hits after dark so I gave up and got some sleep...
Hey Zman!

I was out there Monday AM too. I was fishing on the south side mostly just past the cable towards the outlet. Which guy were you? You weren't the guy I saw catch something just past where the asphalt path was on the north?

I got skunked.

Dan

E

·
0 Posts
Red Sox Rock said:
How do you get down to the spillway?
Go in the west entrance to Chatfield and then head north. You'll go over the corner of the dam. Park in the first parking lot at the bottom of the dam. You'll drive over the spillway.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Eric & Others-Is this spillway open in the wintertime-I mean ice free? Just thinking it might be a good place to try in the wintertime. Also, about how big is it? Ed

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ed

It pretty much dwindles to a trickle in the winter time...even in the summer time and the fall...during run off it rages since Chatfield was built for flood control...and walleyes get washed out and pretty much hang in the first half mile...I have never caught them further down although I have caught large browns and rainbows that were hold overs...but never any walleyes...it doesnt mean they arent there...I just dont ever remember even reading a freak report...I know the Arkansas below Pueblo has a pretty good supply of fish year round...I think there are just too many collection reservoirs on the south platte with Cheesman, Strontia Springs, Eleven Mile, Spinney, Antero...for there to be a good flow in the off run off season...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Zman-Thanks for the info. Just looking for places to wet a line come winter. Ed

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just some information about the walleye flushed out of lake? Down stream a ways, there is a parking area along 470! There is a number of ponds along the river an one that the river goes into an comes back out? I fly fish the river there for fun and came across a guy, who was fishing with bait on the point where the river goes in an out! He had a rather large stringer full of walleye? This was a couple of years ago! Just some info??? good luck!!!! ???

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
When you are fishing the outlet or below, you are fishing the South Platte River and not the reservoir, therefore the 18 inch size limit does not apply.

The purpose of the 18 inch minimum is to help protect the larger fish for spawning. Once they are in the river they are lost from spawning and egg/milt collection.

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts