Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took grandpa to the spillway last night... Ya know he is in his 60's and has MS. So it is important to find a spot which has easy access and where he can catch fish. Well this time this was the spot. We arrived about 6pm and by 6:45 grandpa had his first fish. a very healthy 4 lbs 23" cat. Great lookin fish!! It has been quite some time since he has caught a fish that large!!! 50 min later he caught his twin brother. Looked identical, but fought a little harder. It was a challenge for him to walk the fish around the spillway wall so I could take him off the hook for him on the beach. Fun Times. We used a #14 garden hackle!! Works everytime.

Best of luck all
Wheelman

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I love fishing with grandpa.. I bet he had a good time just being out BUT catching a couple nice cats like that was icing on the cake.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wheelman were you talking about the outlet or the spillway? I have not ever fished the spillway but have always wondered if there are fish in there?

F

·
0 Posts
they concider the spillway the outlet ...if your talking about they other spillway looking thing that you can see if your on the parking lot on top of the damn....it does have fish but its difficult to bring them up and the walk can be horrendous big hill.....I've landed a few nice fish but unless your ready to excersize its not worth it ....lots of bluegills

·
Registered
107 Posts
I may be a softy but a tear came to my eye from that story Wheelman. A salute to you sir for spending time with 1/4 of the reason you exist. Our grandparents are a treasure rarely enjoyed in most cases whether they have passed on or live elsewhere. You take that man fishin again and enjoy every minute of it.
Craig

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,

I love fishing with him, its the being outfished I have such a problem with. :-\ Anyway, hopefully I will get another chance this week. As far as the "other" spillway, I'm actually on the local dive team and have personally, and up close seen the large fish in that body of water. That is actually a naturally fed spring which is uncap-able. It's only about 25 ft deep, but it has some Nice size wally's, cat and bucketmouths.

I think this week I will try the spot by the south boat ramp as you come in from the main road. If you take a right there instead of a left you can park right by some bathrooms. I have fished there before and gotten some monster bites with no fish, but would like to try it again with some cut carp. Anyone got any info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts