Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there open water in the spillway right now? I may take the afternoon off and go try it out...Anybody want to offer anything on it?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It was open as of this weekend, at least it looked that way by casual driveby from C470. I've always though of it as the closest tailwater to Denver. I sometimes flyfish the place and my brother thinks it's silly, but I pretend it's the South Platte (which it is). In the summer, I see trout rising all over the place at dusk.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the record, I went, there is open water, I fished off the walkways using every conceivable lure to include: white and gold spinners in various colors, trout magnets, several different spoons, rapalas, and a wooly bugger. Nada, zilch. Isn't that part of the river stocked in the late winter early spring?
Ah but there is open water and I got rid of the shakes for a few days.
There were prob ten guys icing on Chatfield...ice with water pooled all over teh place, I just don't trust it. But good luck to them.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The chatfield spillway is one place I have never ventured. When you refer to the spillway, are you talking about the concrete spill structure, that dumps into that square holding area? Cuz I could've sworn that was frozen. Maybe I didn't look close enough though. How do you access it and does the water actually move? I've glanced at it from time to time on my way to waterton but have never thought it would hold much sctructure and flows suitable to trout and fly fishing. I'd like to be corrected if Im wrong because that would be one more convenient place I'd like to try.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Slugger I think what Vol is talking about is the out let where the water actually comes out of chatfield dam and not the spill way which can be seen easily from c-470. I am with you I believe the spill way is frozen over and I have never fished this but I have heard that there are fish in it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A lot of people refer to it as the spillway, but I think it is actually the outlet. I usually access from chatfield. You can either park at a lot on the left or go down further to the dog ponds and its not too much of a walk. Last time I went was a few weeks ago and all I got was what I think was a sucker that believed in catch and release before he got to me. Lots of ok suckers in there.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Usually this time of the year they are a trickle...drive by check it out yourself...you will probably end up at Waterton...May and June are primo months!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to Waterton, if I had it to do again, I would too. there's barely any flow coming out of the lake at the outlet and the sides around te outlet are frozen, making actually getting anything out of th water if you hook it dicey at best. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The flow in the outlet varies. This year the flow was good almost all summer and fall. In dry years like 2 years ago the water coming out is just a trickle and a person can easily step acroos the flow at that little dam kind of structure.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts