Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got on Chatfield a little later today that we really wanted to. We got to the area, below the Swim Beach about 9:30 AM and tried to find the same area (or close to it) that we had caught that nice 19" Brown Trout last Saturday.
Our sonar showed some fish, but not the "schools" of fish like it did that day. Also, the deepest water we could find on sonar was 31 feet. We caught the Brown in 40 feet.
Anyway, we sat there for about 2 1/2 hours in the hot sun, drinking bottle after bottle of water and
NO BITES.........NOTHING, PERIOD!
Well, we headed for the Marina to rent a slip for the ColoradoFisherman get-together next month. The people in the Marina Office told us that the lake was down some, but more water was going to be put in.
Next Saturday or Sunday we WILL be on Chatfield a least a couple of hours earlier. Hopefully, better luck then.
It wasn't a good fishing time, but the wife and I still had a nice time on the boat (as we always do).
So, until next weekend, "Good Luck" to all you guys that hit the lake during the week.
Cody (cowboy)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Anybody know if the plan to expand chatfield is still in the works? I would like to see a map of the proposed shore line to map a few waypoints before stuff is submerged.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Moby,

The last time i checked it is still in the development and study stages.

I went to Chatfield tonight from 6-10p. We tried fishing the no wake area, tried trolling, throwing lures, senkos etc. Nothing Around 8 we noticed quite a few boats left the lake so we started towards the dam. I noticed a lot of fish marking as I crossed the bridge so we thought we would give it a try.

Fishing on a flat area about18 feet deep, I tossed out a leech to the bottom. We were just drifting slowly when the ranger boat came by and checked our licenses. They had to wait because just as I reached for my wallet, Bam Fish on! Since I forgot my camera at home I told them if it was Master Angler quality they would have to be my witnesses. It was not. :'( But it was still nice hard fighting walleye (hard fighting for a walleye that is) We stayed out till 10p just drifting with leeches on the bottom, caught 6 total, one keeper.

Also hooked a big bass on a leech, it shook the hook right by the boat as I was reaching for the net. :mad: I estimate it was 17-18 inches and Fat.

The weather was great, cool breeze on the lake, hardly any boats on the water after dark and Several fish caught!

Dan

·
Registered
110 Posts
We are off all week and plan on hitting Chatfield every day. :)

Cowboy, what did they charge you for a slip at the marina?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JD

It was $24 per day/night for the slip. They give you a tag to put on your boat. The slips are actually on the one side of the Courtesy Dock where people refuel.
Cody

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks Cody,

BTW, a buddy and I went out there from 5 to about 11 this morning and took a pretty good butt whoopin.....

Still beat work though.

John

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think why we had such "lousy luck" on Sunday is because we got into the fishing area to late in the morning.
We have three rods and I had a nightcrawler on two of the rods and decided to put some Powerbait on the third rod. Still, no luck.....not a bite.  :(
Oh well, we will try next weekend with better luck (hopefully).
Cody

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sounds like I may to try fishing Sunday nights. I still JD has it right fish during the week early and late. Glad to here the lake is still producing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Right on Dan, sounds like you had a pretty sweet evening at Chatfield.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts