Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hit Chatfield on Wednesday for a couple of hours and trolled for rainbows.  BEAUTIFUL DAY!!!  Once the wind died it got glass calm.  Had 5 on and lost two at the boat.  Trolled Rapalas on boards out to the sides because fish were surfacing everywhere out in front of the tower.  Birds flying everywhere also, and diving down where fish were pushing bait to the surface.  Only 2 other boats on the lake. 
      Went back out Thursday as the storm was coming in.  I thought I'd take advantage of the feeding frenzy that is "supposed" to happen when a front approaches, but somehow the fish didn't get that memo!!!  All I ended up doing was freezing my arss off and soaking the boat down.  I'm hoping to get back out today to see if the drop in water temp might get the 'eyes going on spoons.  I'll post a report later.  Looney 

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
good report do the trout out of chatfield taste good or not?

I

·
0 Posts
Chatfield Trout taste pretty good we have a smoker at the house and we have about 50 trout in the freezer one batch is twelve, No smoker..No problem they are great on the grill or in a pan

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend of mine ate those fish last night so I'll find out today how they taste, but the meat sure looked good and pink when I cleaned them. They were SOOO fat! I pulled a shad that was about 3 1/2" out of one, (about a #7 or #9 Shad Rap) and saw lots of other shad that size.
I went out yesterday again but couldn't get a trout trolling. Had 4 of us in the boat with four lines out for 3 and a half hours and only snagged one shad. What happened? I think I'll try Aurora on Sunday.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Irishman said:
Chatfield Trout taste pretty good we have a smoker at the house and we have about 50 trout in the freezer one batch is twelve, No smoker..No problem they are great on the grill or in a pan
50 trout in the freezer? Ain't that illegal? Violating possession limit? You may want to remove that post and then I will remove this one...just a warning from a friend.

I

·
0 Posts
TFB its not illegal if it is a years worth of fish. We save em up over the year and then smoke them for the holliday. I know how to follow the rules!!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I still think it is in violation of the possession limit rule. Can anyone clarify?

I

·
0 Posts
Well there is eight and exactly eight licensed anglers in this household and we are well within in the legal limits, if you guys would like names, phone numbers, pictures, height, weight, facial features or anything else about the fisherman in this house please feel free to ask. I am not in violation of the rules.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Irishman said:
Well there is eight and exactly eight licensed anglers in this household and we are well within in the legal limits, if you guys would like names, phone numbers, pictures, height, weight, facial features or anything else about the fisherman in this house please feel free to ask. I am not in violation of the rules.
wasn't trying to bash you bud...just figured there weren't 8 people in your house cuz you didn't say there was. I was just trying to help.
Good luck and good fishing!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey Fishinlooney,
I was one of those boats that was out at Chatfield last Wednesday (The Fisher boat using minnows). Never did catch any Walleyes, but when I switched over to a Rainbow taildancer and hit that area around the tower, I couldn't keep the Trout off. Three of my trout were 18" and 3 lbs. Everything else you described was identical (the birds, shad hitting the surface, etc.). I'll be back out on Wednesday. Hope to see you there,
Catfish_al
P.S. My mom cleaned the fish and found 2 shad in one ofthe trout and another shad in the stomach of another trout. She said they tasted great (not the shad).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Catfish,
Was that you I talked to over by the Marina earlier in the day? I'm glad you got into those trout later in the day. They aren't the preferred species but it sure is nice to catch something!!! Speaking of the "preferred species" I went out last night, Sunday, and spooned up 4 walleyes. One was an 18" keeper. Nice to FINALLY catch a walleye out there that was big enough! It's been a LONG Fall on Chatfield. I'll see about getting out on Wednesday. I'll look for you if I do and if I don't I hope you get into them! Later, Looney.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts