Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I was thinking of fish caught on hook and line. The bigger shad - 10 plus inches on a hook.

I've not used a cast net before, I suppose if one was out of the front range area that would be an option.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
My family has a home on Smith Mountain Res. on the Virginia/ North Carolina border. I go back there every summer for ten days to fish for Stripers, smallies and Cats. Every night we catch a 100 Alewifes' and Gizzard shad off the dock with a cast net and use them for bait the next day. Nothing works better! We drop then down live on circle hooks and use linecounters to get the right depth, it is lethal!! Always wanted to try it here on Wipers?

G

·
FishEyes said:
There you go mcfly, making lots of sense. Just when we were having a little fun. I do think you will be wrong about one point though, I do think the shad will dramatically affect the walleye fishing this year. We'll see who ends up being correct about that.
There you go again saying you know it all, but if you want to see who is right or who is wrong, then I am right because if there are shad in there, it will make the fish bigger, that's all I'm saying, I didn't say they were going to be easier to catch. If that is what you want then you should fish for something else because any walleye fisherman knows that the reason they fish for walleye isn't because they are easy to catch.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
mcfly, you win. On your bigger fish point, I'm sure they'll be big and fat, I just hope they are not too happy.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would love to know how to catch shad consistently in Colo. I have accidently caught them (5 in my life) with small dark jigs. I don't think shad in Colo behave like shad on the coasts. Like I said, I would love to know of a reliable way to catch them on hook & line in Colo. John

G

·
Research what shad eat here in Colorado, then you can catch them. I would suspect they are insect eaters and such. Also find out environmental factors such as prefered water temps, soluable oxygen requirements, spawning environment requirements and preferences, etc... All those things will help you to target any specific species more successfully.

Or you can call the DOW and ask them how to catch shad!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts