Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy spring everyone :)

Has anyone fished Chatfield this week for walleyes? My son has the day off from school tomorrow so I am going to get the boat out for the first time this year. I am hoping to find some fish for him!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mr. Randash,
I have not fished Chat yet this year but will Staurday night. The Creek is kicking out a few fish though. Check my CC post and give me a call if you want some details.

I am about to submit you and your dads Big Mac tourney form.......you two are still fishing it, right?
Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you Dave? I saw your CC post earlier this morning. Nice!!!!! Yes, we will be fishing Big Mac. Still coordinating arrangements, but we will be there. I thought maybe we would see you at Basspro last weekend when they had the pros in to talk. Let's catch up soon! Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Mike - Give me a call if you're in town. I broke the boat out last weekend up at Horsetooth - I picked up one skinny 17" male...

Take care!

Jef

·
Registered
90 Posts
We fished for Walleyes at Chatfield on Sunday morning, but were completely skunked. This was the first time the boats have seen the water this year, so a lot of attention was focused towards the boats.

We only fished for a few hours using everything from bottom bouncers to lindy rigs. Not a single bite. The wind was pretty bad which slightly complicated things. My brother and I might head out there on Friday night to take another crack at them. Needless to say, it was good to get on the open water again.

JOE

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Mike - I have a cabin for you already reserved at Big Mac.....on me. I have lost your number, PM me yours and I will call you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jef. Good to hear from you. I have been out of town for about two weeks but I am staying home for the next couple of weeks at least. I will give you a call. Dave, I will call you too! :)

Jef, you a Horsetooth expert? Want to fish a CWA tournament? :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yep...open to the public but they might be full that weekend. Real nice people, family run, cabins, store, gas, bait, etc.

Eagle's Nest-Samuelson's
PO Box 27
Lemoyne, NE 69146-0027
(308) 355-2321

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
We fished Chat on Sunday with another couple in thier own boat from 1 pm to dark. We jigged, pulled bottom bouncers and then crankbaits. Absoluty nothing between 2 boats all over that lake. Chatfield has a Walleye off and on switch. When the water temp reaches 54 the switch is turned on, go get em , until then it will be a hit and mostly miss!

Good Luck !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not an expert at all on Horsetooth - it was my first time there... I certainly didn't mark much. Fishing a reservoir is a definitely tougher than the natural lakes back in MI or Canada... the structure is a lot less obvious.

·
Registered
555 Posts
  Chatfield has been slow lately.  I had to work on my boats carburator, so I brought a few rods with me as well.  Now granted, I was out in the middle of the day (from 11 am to 3 pm) and only managed to catch one 16" walleye off the bend in the dam on a nightcrawler and then a 12" smallmouth on a crawfish colored bomber crank bait.  I ran across a guy in a Lund boat who said he lost a really nice SM while fishing with a rattle trap but he ended up losing it.
  As I was leaving the lake, one of the park rangers surveyed me about how the fishing was.  I gave her my meager report and she responded by saying that noone that she surveyed, who had been fishing out in the lake from a boat had reported catching anything, other than what I had told her.  She said that a few people fishing from shore, using salmon eggs, had caught a few trout and that was it.
  She did mention that the lake has had alot of shad put in, so, when the fish finally do turn on, they should be nice and fat.  She also said that the lake had just recently been stocked with more walleye.  So, hopefully, with the warm weather, the fish turn on soon.  Today, the water temps ranged from 48 to 51.  Once we see the upper 50's to lower 60's, I'd imagine that the action should pick up nicely, as May has always been kind to me there.  Hopefully, it will be in the future as well.  Good luck all.         

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are not very encouraging :) Just kidding. I appreciate the information. We are going to go out and give it a try on Thursday. My 12 year old told me tonight that he just wants to get out on the boat and it doesn't matter if we catch anything. Hard to argue with that logic - although I am hoping we find a few fish too! If we have any luck I will post an update. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My son in law and I tried Chatfield on Sunday...same result as most have reported. We put our canoe, with outrigger stabilizers and trolling motor, in at King Fisher. Marked lots and lots of fish, but couldn't convince any to bite. I snagged a carp with a Rattletrap. How does that happen? The wind was pretty brisk and we didn't venture out into the main lake. Water temp was 47, pretty cold for anything but trout to be active.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts