Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple days ago Chatfield was pretty slow, only a few walleye on bottom bouncers but one decent trout on a rapala. It hit it VERY hard and jumped over and over - and had rapala hooks stuck deep all over. If anyone catches a trout with some pretty serious jaw defects it was this one!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I hit Chatfield last night  from 6p-11p (Friday the 8th)  The walleye are definitely starting to slow down.  Caught some of the usual small bass along the dam and tower.  Lots of bait fish starting to show up on the sonar.  I worked Massey Draw, the dam and the bridge.  Did not see a lot of fish being caught by other people.

We got rained on, blown around and and sprayed by a  boat towing a skier.  When it cleared up it was a great night to be out.

Dan

·
Registered
270 Posts
I fish east of the Tower when the storm started to roll in. I left for the shore when my Graphic rod in the holder started to crack and the ulgy stick I was fishing with started to shock me. I was kinda hoping I might see some fried waterskiers. Is just me or the are the wakeboarder and and ski boats getting out of control. I didn't get splashed, but had a wake board boat send wake over the transom when they passed. Might try it again tonight. I might tie on a 1 1/2 ounce bomber A with some 50 Lb mono for a water skier lure. Hate to lose $7.00 if he broke me off.

I caught some nice bass after the storm left, but only stayed until 10.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chatfield scares me for the reasons you stated. I've thought of mounting a M60 on my boat to combat these houligans.

My brother and I will be at Chatfield tomorrow morning....early tomorrow morning. I hope we can avoid inevitable traffic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I FEEL IF THEY ARE IN RANGE OF A PAINTBALL GUN THEN IT SHOULD BE LEGAL TO OPEN FIRE ;D SPECIALLY IF YOU FREEZE THE PAINTBALLS!!!! THAT JUST MIGHT GET THEIR ATTENTION TO STAY AWAY FROM US FELLOW ANGLERS

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I totally agree with what TroutFishingBear is saying. We all have to watch what we say in the Forum........jokingly or serious.
I have never had any problems at Chatfield with boaters, skiers or PWC people. But then again, the wife and I only fish in the "No Wake" areas where these people can't bother us.
I have seen guys in boats fishing over by the Dam and outside the "No Wake" areas. I appears to me that the boaters and PWC people make a circle around the lake and can get to close to the fisherman (and don't slow down). If I were fishing and these people came close to me, I'd be upset also. But, that is the reason why we fish in the "No Wake" areas of the lake.
Also have found out that if the wife and I get on Chatfield Lake early enough in the morning, there are a lot less of the boaters/skiers/PWC people out there.
Personally, I have total respect for anyone fishing on the lake and if we are out just cruising on the lake, we simply slow down when we come across someone who is fishing.
Cody (cowboy)

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Great posts TFB and Cody!...we might have some dual members on here...that do both and are respectful...a few of us have been out at Chatfield and caught a couple of keeper walleyes on a slow day and all of a sudden you have a half dozen rods in your boat that arent yours...ie fishing boats that are watching and all of a sudden have become your siamese twin because you caught fish...again no respect of distance...so it isnt just the skiers and the boarders and jet skiers...there are some in every crowd...fisherman and boaters...although it might feel good to brain someone with a 3/4 ounce kastmaster and spider wire...it probably would be pretty nasty and have liability considerations in our overly litiguous (is it a word and is it spelled right?) society...and admit it...you would feel bad about it after you did it...kind of like the morons with the fan player fight in the Pistons/Pacers earlier this year in the NBA...you know they were thinking after the fact...what was I thinking?!?!...but Cody is right...there is a huge wakeless area that I have caught my best fish in anyway...it is quieter and you dont have to ride the surf!...

Take care out there guys and keep up the the great posts!

Ken would be proud of you...that the voice of reason prevailed!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Crazy night at the lake. Some guy hit me at the boat ramp when he tried to pull his boat out and it was half on and half off the trailier fell off and hit my boat. Still went out and caught a few bass got buzzed by some water skiers. Just missed one by about 6 inches with a rattle trap and dual trebles on his third pass within 10 feet. Funny never buzzed us again.

Caught a few bass there then big raft of boats with lots of people drinking beer floated in. Left after that. Pulled into the ramp only 3 boats there guy forgets which boat is his and backs down in front of mine. Both guys were there before me and backing was like looking into the sun. Had to go down and ask them to dim. What happened to any common curtesey in this world? Still fishing was good. See pic of the 2 best ones.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Today, Sunday, while we were waiting to load our boat on the trailer at the North Ramp, we saw a guy backing his trailer/waverunner down the ramp and......BAM, he runs the back corner of his trailer into the right front tire of the truck next to him that was launching his boat. It was not a damaging hit, but we could hear the trailer hit the tire.
Sometimes, I think that people are in just to much of a hurry to launch or retrieve their boats or PWC.
Backing a trailer down the the ramp can be hard, but doing it to fast can have bad results also.
When there is a line of people waiting to launch or retrieve boats, people have to be somewhat quick on the ramp, but being careful is still the "name of the game".
Cody (cowboy)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Speaking of people having trouble backing.

When I got to the west boat ramp today there was a lady in an RV trying to back her trailer down to get the boat off the water. Well she went forward and backward and this way and that way. Now ordinarily it really bothers me to have to wait to get on the water, but tonight I planned on it taking a while since it was Sunday night. So I was getting my boat ready and watching with a couple of other people in line. I was just about ready to offer to back it for her when 2 teenage boys come up from the boat in the slot she appeared to be aiming for. I figured they were her sons and one of them would back it down or give her directions to steer.

I was wrong.

Boy was I wrong.

Totally wrong.

Rarely have I been more wrong.

They had her stop right where she was, kinda kitty-whompus on the ramp. The unhitched the trailer, she pulled forward a bit and the 2 kids walked the trailer down the ramp. One holding the hitch the other at the back bracing it to keep it from getting away from the other. Somehow they managed to get it all the way to the water without losing control of it and killing someone. Then the lady driving the RV backed down to the water.

Now I thought "ok, thats one way to get the trailer in the water, not the way I would do it, but it worked for them".

At this point it seems to me the smart thing to do would be back the RV to the water and hook the trailer back up, Before putting the boat on it. Nope you are right, they tryed to put the boat on before hooking it up. Well about this time. I had my boat in the water and left to park my car. Don't know if they had to redo everything or not.

At least they did not run into something and the boat did not fall off the trailer.

Dan

·
Registered
270 Posts
The ramp at Chatfield could win AFV if you just had a camera at the right moment. At night why can't people dim their lights?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I took my daughter for a swim at Chatfield Sunday afternoon and had my first encounter with the park rangers. I had just cleared the wakeless area at the north ramp when they pulled me over to do a registration and equipment check. I got through it all OK, but as they checked my equipment, the wave runners hauled passed us and cruised towards the ramp at fifteen mph or more kicking up large wakes.

After we cleared the "stop check" my 12 year old daughter commented, "What's up with that? Shouldn't they be chasing down the jet skiers that are out of control?" What can you say?

I had the marine radio on scan, and I could hear their dispatcher calling out to the rangers asking them police the jet skis as many of them were cruising in and out of the wakeless areas. I don't want to bash the rangers, because they have a tough job in managing the traffic, but maybe they need to limit access to the lake or hire more rangers. Anyhow the water was warm and floating around in a vest allowed us to escape the summer madhouse we've come to know as Chatfield.

Pete

M

·
0 Posts
Dan said:
Speaking of people having trouble backing.

When I got to the west boat ramp today there was a lady in an RV trying to back her trailer down to get the boat off the water.  Well she went forward and backward and this way and that way.  Now ordinarily it really bothers me to have to wait to get on the water, but tonight I planned on it taking a while since it was Sunday night.  So I was getting my boat ready and watching with a couple of other people in line.  I was just about ready to offer to back it for her when 2 teenage boys come up from the boat in the slot she appeared to be aiming for.   I figured they were her sons and one of them would back it down or give her directions to steer. 

I was wrong.

Boy was I wrong.

Totally wrong.

Rarely have I been more wrong.

They had her stop right where she was, kinda kitty-whompus on the ramp.  The unhitched the trailer, she pulled forward a bit and the 2 kids walked the trailer down the ramp.  One holding the hitch the other at the back bracing it to keep it from getting away from the other.  Somehow they managed to get it all the way to the water without losing control of it and killing someone.  Then the lady driving the RV backed down to the water. 

Now I thought "ok, thats one way to get the trailer in the water, not the way I would do it, but it worked for them". 

At this point it seems to me the smart thing to do would be back the RV to the water and hook the trailer back up, Before putting the boat on it.  Nope you are right, they tryed to put the boat on before hooking it up.  Well about this time.  I had my boat in the water and left to park my car.  Don't know if they had to redo everything or not. 

At least they did not run into something and the boat did not fall off the trailer.

Dan
that sounds like a redneck joke in the making

you might be a redneck if...you do the above

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I hit Chatfield, Monday the 11th from 1130-230p Trolled the dam for smallies. Lots of smallies. Did not catch bigger than 10 inches, most 6-8 a couple as small as 4. I was using a shad rap for a while, lots of hits but no hook-ups. Changed to a rattle-trap, small sized and smaller hooks. Lots of hook-ups and fish caught, I would often see another fish or 2 trailing the the hooked fish as I reeled it in. After I snagged that rattle-trap on the bottom and lost it I switched to a berkley bungee leech. hooked it on a jig and just rolled with it. caught 10 or more bass on one leech. Still have it and can use again.

If you want fast, fun action but are not overly concerned about size give the dam a try for bass. We fished water 10-4 feet deep, easily accessable from shore or boat.

As the bait fish in the lake continue to grow I will be targeting bass busting schools of bait. I did quit well doing that last year and it just like fishing for wipers.

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts