Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was too nice yesterday, so I hit Chatfield around 2:00 and fished 'till 4:30. Checked a couple of spots and found some fish but couldn't get them to go, but around sunset I hit one walleye that was 16" and he was as big around as some of the 19"ers I caught this summer!!! Those fish are SOOO Fat. They are eating so many shad that it's a wonder they can even swim. The boat launch cove is FULL of shad, you can cast out a kastmaster and drag it along the bottom and snag shad from 2 3/4" up to 6". I caught about 20 doing this for only a few minutes. Figured I'll try to use them instead of suckers for the macks this winter. Only one other guy on the lake and he was fishing the roadbed and a little bit in front of the tower. He was in a tiller boat and I didn't get to talk to him to see if he had any luck. One last thing, the rocks around the edge of the cove had some ice formed around them so it could freeze any day if we get some cold weather! Let's hope :D See ya on the water, Looney.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey Looney,saw you on Terry Wickstroms show on Saturday.It was very cool to see you guys catch fish at a local lake with methods that we can easly reproduce.I've never used bottombouncers,but you can be sure i will give them a try in the spring.I was very impressed with how easy you guys made it look.See ya out there next spring,thanks for the great info.

lyn

·
Registered
405 Posts
Looney,

Nice post. No doubt that the abundance of Shad have made fishing a little more challenging at Chatfield, but I'll accept the trade off.
I'd much rather catch fewer, fatter. larger Walleye, than to catch a dozen of the little cigar shaped Walleye that are abundant in this lake.

Hmmmm snagged Shad, wonder how cut Shad bait would work on Lakers?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used cut shad before and it works as good or better than sucker on macks! Man are those little guys smelly (the shad that is), and they leave an oil slick when you put them in the water. Pete, I agree about catching fewer but bigger fish. After last years shortage of bait and the resulting skinny fish it's nice to see them puting on the feed bag. I can't wait to see how big those pigs are going to be when we do the spawn in the spring!!! That sure is a thrill to see how many HUGE fish are in that lake, it makes you fish a whole lot harder when you know they are there!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts