Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had an hour to fish, but found some shad between the south marina and the Dam hooked 1 dinker trout then had to go. Grilled it when we got home.  Lots of boats out today.

[attachment deleted by admin]

T

·
0 Posts
Lots a boats! No kidding, Today was the first and last time I will go there on a weekend.  I never saw so many RUDE go fast boats in my life! I thought three guys in a small fishing boat were going to get into somekind of a fight with the big pig that tried to run them over(I would have backed them up). Do the rangers ever get out on the water to see whats going on or do they just stay away also? Oh well, I'll find somewhere else to spend my money. :( :(

Dan in Elizabeth

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don?t know when the rangers will show up, but I can wait last year I was pulled over and got ?well deserved? technical ticket. As we sat on the water with Officer Judd the rest of the go fast boats kept banging the patrol boat into mine cost an extra 60 to repair my boat because the Officer couldn?t control his boat. Called the state and filed a report and nothing for a response. I watched the same ranger sit and talk to a boat full of chicks one day and a scaraab came down the lake weaving through the fishing boats about 75 mph and they looked up then glued their eyes back to the set of mammary glands. I personally don?t ever see them stop anyone for rude behavior or enforce noise and speed ordinances. The same day they wrote me a ticket 2 guys dropped a cooler of beer on the ramp in front of about 5 rangers and not 1 of them walked over to see if was legal beer. They walked down the ramp put it in their boat and drove off. The whole Ranger system at Chatfield is designed around revenue, remember its easier catch fishermen and write a ticket then the average pleasure boater. Try driving to the ramp at 27 some day that will cost you another 50.

I don?t want to sound like I don?t like law enforcement because it?s definitely necessary in society, but I can put up with a couple of knuckle heads if they don?t kill me.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
This time of year it seems the rangers look the other way at boats speeding. I guess it will take someone getting killed. I have noticed that it is always the same boats doing the same things. I have complained several times to no apparent avail. Maybe if they got reports from multiple people it would help.

I got pulled over a couple of times last summer when I was on the lake. They checked my license, registration and the usual safety equipment. They looked kinda happy when my air horn did not want to work. (aerosol kind of thing) He pulled out his book and acted like he was gonna start writing. I had a suprise for him. I keep one in the bow and one in the stern. I grabbed the other one and gave him a blast of it. I was surprised i did not get a ticket any way.

Dan

T

·
0 Posts
This place sounds like a place to stay away from. 1eye, just clip a whistle on your life vest that way you allways got one + a horn. Ya I guess you guys are right, if the ranger Ricks are going to act like that I dont want them around. :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Finally, after a bit of a dry spell, I caught three smallies and a walleye this morning. The bass were 14", 16" and 16.5". The walleye was also 16.5". I missed some others I presume to be bass also. I caught the bass near the inlet of the S. Platte using minnows under a bobber (9 feet of water - about 5-6 feet below the bobber). The walleye came near the road bed (18.5 feet of water) using a rainbow trout colored twister tail tipped with a nightcrawler. I got called into work so I just missed the rain and I'd like to think - a few more fish. Everyone I talked to was getting into at least a few small fish. The rainy weather definitely keeps the speedboats/skiers away.
and
I was wishing for my flyrod as a school of HUGE carp came by slurping bugs off the surface. These guys had to be at least 10 pounds or more.

Jeff

·
Registered
440 Posts
Snag,

Unfortunately, you can never depend upon the rangers at Chatfield to be an effective force. Remember, this is the res where a little girl was hit with a jet ski and killed a couple years back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The built in horn is enough provided it works. It's always good to have a back-up in case od a loose wire, dead battery, or whatever. I like to keep a whistle on the steering column.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fished Sunday from 6 am to 10:30. Started trolling the dam but it was so muddy we decided to move to clearer water. My bro got one eye down in the gravel pits about 16". I got one hit, missed it & got skunked. Water temp 53 near dam 57 gravel pits. It wont be long til they turn on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anyone going out tomorrow. It's my birthday and I was thinking of going to Chatfield unless someone has a better idea. Let me know where you're going and maybe we'll hook up. Look for my red, white, and grey Ebbtide. ;D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sound Device.......Requirment is dependent on what class of boat you have. Refer to the Colorado Boat Regulations.

<<<NOLUCK>>>

#208 - SOUND-PRODUCING DEVICES
1. Every vessel, except hand-propelled vessels when on whitewater,
of Class A, 1, or 2, must have on board a sound-producing device
for signaling. Such device may be operated by mouth, hand, or
power, and it must be able to produce the navigational signals
under rules of the road.
2. Every vessel of Class 3 must have on board a sound-producing
device, which may be operated by mouth, hand, or power. Such
device shall be audible for a distance of at least one-half mile.
3. Every motorboat of Class 2 must have on board a sound-producing
device, which may be operated by hand or power. Such device
shall be audible for a distance of at least one mile.
4. Every motorboat of Class 3 must have on board a power operated
sound-producing device, which shall be audible for a distance of
at least one mile.
5. Every motorboat of Class 2 or 3 must have on board a bell
which, when struck, produces a clear, bell-like tone of full round
characteristics.
6. Sirens, except those which produce a continuous pitch, are
prohibited on all vessels, except emergency or law enforcement
vessels of the United States operating within federal authority or
of the State and its political subdivisions.
#

T

·
0 Posts
Hey noluck, now you can't say none responds to your posts. Thanks for the info on what they want in your boat. When are you going to quit turkey hunting and join us on the water? ;)

Dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts