Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did chatfield yesterday with my buddy again. We fished over by the dam for a little hoping for a walleye or something other than trout. No luck so we went over to eagle cove and got into some trout. Had a ton of bites and landed several fish. My buddy managed to get another fat trout that dwarfed the others we had caught. I'm glad I decided to try chatfield cuz I had always assumed it really sucked and the past two days it has exceeded all expectations, at least as a trout fishery. Can anyone give me some tips on targeting smallies or walleye? I see all the pictures of guys with smallies and we could only seem to find the trucha. We just use the real basic ice stuff like waxie tipped kastys, Swedish pimples, tube jigs, rapalas etc. and it seems like they should work for smallies too so I would assume it's more about depth and structure?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I could give You the approx. GPS co-ords.....
BUT, They'd kill ME...>:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I did chatfield yesterday with my buddy again. We fished over by the dam for a little hoping for a walleye or something other than trout. No luck so we went over to eagle cove and got into some trout. Had a ton of bites and landed several fish. My buddy managed to get another fat trout that dwarfed the others we had caught. I'm glad I decided to try chatfield cuz I had always assumed it really sucked and the past two days it has exceeded all expectations, at least as a trout fishery. Can anyone give me some tips on targeting smallies or walleye? I see all the pictures of guys with smallies and we could only seem to find the trucha. We just use the real basic ice stuff like waxie tipped kastys, Swedish pimples, tube jigs, rapalas etc. and it seems like they should work for smallies too so I would assume it's more about depth and structure?
They are fishing the smallies in front of the tower, unlike the walleye they will readily consume minnows if you put it on their nose. You ain't gonna catch walleye at eagle cove by anything other than luck. Keep trying its a big but rewarding lake. I would say if you are catching trout you are either too shallow or fishing the wrong area. Remember though that the walleye follow a very different pattern than the small mouths. Look for the balls of shad and baby perch. Just to give you some clues.

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Grumpie

You and Golden Shower ought to hook up...maybe that way both of you will keep me out of your fantasies...

·
Banned
553 Posts
Maybe we could double date with yall at crack?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We went back the day before yesterday with live minnows. We tried a bunch of jigs with an without wax worms, too.This time we tried fishing in front of the tower, along the damn and in the little cove by the tower. I got like five or six trout and missed a bunch of hits but no walleye or bass or anything else.regardless, I really like chatfield. The prospect of catching something other than slimers is cool. I also like how close it is and the fact that you can use live bait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts