Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored after school today, got to thinkin' about a report of some early walleye (hehe), decided to try Chatfield dam. Walked around throwing huslky jerks, rebels, ratltraps, and a few tube patterns. Fished from 2-sunset, no bites. I think it may be a tad early at Chatfield?

Not much of a report, but the interesting thing is that there was hardly any ice at all left on the main lake (some on the west end) and just a tad in the boat ramp area, but as I was leaving, I noticed two guys were ice fishing about ten feet from shore in that boat ramp cove. I was gonna stop and see how thick it was, but I was in a hurry, but I thought they were nuts considering how warm it is and how little ice there was anywhere. They were standing in a lil pool of water it looked like, haha any of you guys?

Also...I saw the strnagest thing...There were a bunch of seagulls sitting on the ice and out of nowhere, a freakin bald eagle dove down and then all the gulls scattered and felw up and it was as if they were chasing the eagle away...very weird stuff today. Believ it or not, I know it's Chatfield, but bald eagles aren't that hard to identify...Oh well, it was crazy.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I see Bald Eagles at CC every year. I saw a juvanille just a few weeks ago there.

Man what a beautiful site to see.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is only the second wild one ive seen, saw the other just past lake george on the way to the mile muchin on a rabbit, amazing birds

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Thanks for the report, Mustang.It helps to know what lakes are slow as well as which ones are hot. I'm not much of a walleye fisherman, but I wonder if because of the cold water temps if you would get bites if you went with a jighead and half a crawler dragged real slowly across the bottom? Maybe they just don't feel like chasing down anything yet.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kastmisser said:
Thanks for the report, Mustang.It helps to know what lakes are slow as well as which ones are hot. I'm not much of a walleye fisherman, but I wonder if because of the cold water temps if you would get bites if you went with a jighead and half a crawler dragged real slowly across the bottom? Maybe they just don't feel like chasing down anything yet.
thats probably a good strategy, though im NOT a good walleye fisherman. the thing is if you're fishing along the dam, dragging anything along the bottom is a pain, cuz u have to know where the rocks start so u dont keep getting snags

·
Registered
862 Posts
I work out at CF I see 1 or 2 bald eagle almost every day as a matter of fact last week I saw the coolest thing 2 bald eagles and 2 hawks all flying together and the 2 bald eagles were diving at each other as well as the hawks doin the same thing it was pretty cool to watch found some mountain lion tracks (or what we thought were anyway) and the remains of a animal I have no idea what it was because it was tore up pretty good......lot of cool stuff to watch out there the bald eagles are my favorite you generally dont get to enjoy then on a daily basis

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hopefully they were the remains of a waterskier...
I don't mean that...
Entirely...
Hmmmmm...a waterskier-eating mountain lion, I bet Boulder'd try to save it!

·
Registered
297 Posts
VolFan said:
Hopefully they were the remains of a waterskier...
I don't mean that...
Entirely...
Hmmmmm...a waterskier-eating mountain lion, I bet Boulder'd try to save it!
Or a jetskier...
I did mean that...
Entirely...
>:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
"Also...I saw the strnagest thing...There were a bunch of seagulls sitting on the ice and out of nowhere, a freakin bald eagle dove down and then all the gulls scattered and felw up and it was as if they were chasing the eagle away...very weird stuff today. Believ it or not, I know it's Chatfield, but bald eagles aren't that hard to identify...Oh well, it was crazy."

Just an FYI on your post. Seagulls are a common dietary staple for most species of eagles. He was probably trying to identify a weak one when you saw him dive.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
One of the coolest things I have seen a bald eagle doing was while driving to Williams Fork in the middle of winter.There were more than a couple dead elk along the side of the road close to the lake, hopefully winter killed and not shot, and as I came over a hill I saw an eagle swoop down onto a carcass that had a bunch of crows on it, scattering the crows. I wish I had a camera, that would have been an awesome shot of the eagle strutting his stuff on the elk.

·
Registered
114 Posts
this past year we were trolling in my boat at willow creek and a eagle was flying around it dove down into the water right in front of the boat. it was weird to see i didnt see it get a fish or anything though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts