Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother and a buddy hit chatty thursday night got out there just in time for the rain !! fished until about 1030 threw every thing in the box at them missed one bite and i hooked a 10 in smallie right after my brother said lets go im freezing !! made about 5 more casts hoping but nothing took so all we really managed to do was get soaking wet and cold !!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah if thats what you call it !! felt more like i was being a sponge soaking up water lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
shore yeah the damn. growing up fishing walleye in south dakota when there was lightning it would shut them off for days some times !! does anyone know this effect here ? im wondering if anyone has noticed a pattern on colorado walleye and lightning ?

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
shore yeah the damn. growing up fishing walleye in south dakota when there was lightning it would shut them off for days some times !! does anyone know this effect here ? im wondering if anyone has noticed a pattern on colorado walleye and lightning ?
I tried the Dam once from shore.... All i got was snagged, LOL. Atleast you beat the skunk with the small smallie!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Gonna have to change your game quite a bit from SD tactics. Orman, Ango and Oahe locals are primarily live bait guys or jig and minnow. Here Its a lot tougher honestly. Your reward is a shot at a world class fish--albeit a small one. DOW netted a 22 lber at Cherry Creek and someone just caught a 34". Cherry and Chatty have better than good forage base of gizzard shad and suspend under the shad to feed. Combine that with a ton of fishing pressure and its tough fishing. Lots of riprap Makes jig fishing and deep lure fishing a money losing endeavor.

Tips:
Jerkbaits are probably the #1 go to lure until the water temp hits 60. Spring and fall are the best times for monsters. Read Don B's Jerkbaits Suck article. Gear up heavy. Jerkbait eyes aint line shy. I use 20 lb pp with a 10 lb xt leader to a speed clip.

Nights are more productive from shore IMO.

I know a few guys who do extremely well fishing Cherry and Chatty like a natural lake. Weeds and timber in shallow water.

Fish when its to your advantage. High winds, frontal conditions etc.

As a SD Native, I FULLY EXPECT to see you fishing in a 30 mph
day out enjoying a soft breeze while you fish schooling everybody around you on how to fish a mudline. ;)

Tight lines!

Timmah!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
High pressure fronts that move in after the storms and lighting shut em down.

At least that's been my experience.
there were a couple cracks that night and that was only reason i could figure they weren't biting ever thing else said it should have been a good night

1 - 9 of 9 Posts