Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit chatty with a friend. He’s got a pretty nice alumacraft. Ended up dropshotting shiners and fatheads in like 30fow and caught a bunch of smallies between the two of us. He did better than me. I was using 12lb test and he was using 8 which I think might’ve hurt me a little. I had a real short tag coming off my dropshot that I made using a double surgeons knot and it seemed to wrap around my line which doesn’t help things, either. I think I’ll use a swivel next time and tie a tag off of that. The biggest were about 14 inches so nothing too crazy but they were chunky and super healthy looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
Smallmouth are always a blast! I have not fished for them yet this year :( was meaning to make it up to Horsetooth but haven't had a chance.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
chatty has been fishing well for the smallies I caught a 17 incher last Thursday along with a bunch of 14s and 15s. next time out try some jigging raps the bigger ones seem to like them

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good deal.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
was there again today this time only one caught with a jigging rap the rest on minners hear that slayer MINNERS

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
Well don't bring minnows and you'll hafta catch them on lures. Don't need no stinking bait. bwahahaha-

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
they wouldn't take a jigging rap yesterday or a blade I tried, but rather then get skunk I used the old stand by

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hit chatty with a friend. He’s got a pretty nice alumacraft. Ended up dropshotting shiners and fatheads in like 30fow and caught a bunch of smallies between the two of us. He did better than me. I was using 12lb test and he was using 8 which I think might’ve hurt me a little. I had a real short tag coming off my dropshot that I made using a double surgeons knot and it seemed to wrap around my line which doesn’t help things, either. I think I’ll use a swivel next time and tie a tag off of that. The biggest were about 14 inches so nothing too crazy but they were chunky and super healthy looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chat field needs to lower the slot on SMB. That is a stunted population. If they lowered the slot to 15”, which is a great eating size smallie, I think there would be some biggger fish In the lake. Same with walleye. I bet I caught over a hundred eyes this summer between me and my son and my grandson, and they were skinny and unhealthy looking. All those fish will die this winter. Bad management if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
actually the limit is15 inches for smallies and if you think there stunted your obviously not fishing in the right area. everyone ive caught this fall has been healthy and fat with several pushing 18inches, as far as walleye being skinny you can place the blame on Mother Nature not bad management ,last year we saw a die off of the shad population the main forage fish for the eyes.they seemed to have fatten up this fall so I dont think you have to worry about them making it through the winter, I guess time will tell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts