Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant aford the small flyfishing shop prices. spent $30 today, and didnt leave with much. anyone know where i can get decent flys cheap in fort collins?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think you might be stuck hitting the net otherwise it seems the cheep flies are just that and you got to be carefull even on the net some of the guys might be able to recomend some good online sources

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If you are serious about fly fishing, sooner or later you are going to want to tie your own. Next time you might want to think about spending that $30 on a beginners fly tying kit. Tying flies is fun and you end up with something you can be proud of yourself for.

Of course you might become a traffic hazard if you start jamming on your brakes to pull some feathers out of a dead pheasant, or cut some hairs off of a dead raccoon...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Jax in fort collins has flies for .89 cents. Discount fishing tackle has them for .79 cents i think. Almost half the price of the fly fishing shops i've been to.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I'm pretty sure I remember flies being 75 cents @ Discount Tackle. That doesn't seem right because everything else there was wicked exspensive, but I do think their flies were cheap. It's by a Dairy Queen on College (287). I think thats between the mall and Gart Sports (on west side of the road).

I'd make a trip to Sportsman's Warehouse in Loveland by the Outlets. Flies are 99 cents, 89 cents if you buy a dozen. They have a pretty good selection. I like em, because they don't charge more for flies like Bass popopers, Mouse or Crawfish paterens.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just got back from Gander Mountain in Thornton. Their flys are 99 cents. It's strange, each fly is individually priced with a bar code.

So instead I ordered a bunch of flys from BlueFlyCafe.com. We'll see how that works.

Normally I tie my own, but I usually stick to nymphs and the easier to tie flys. Then I buy the harder ones.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've gotten very nicely tied and inexpensive flys from "the Mighty Fly" He is in California and ships usually the next day. All orders over $25 are shipped free.
You can buy one or 100 there is no minimum and they are $.60 each. I've bought quite a few and he usually throws in a freebie or two also.
He also carries the "Aqua Fly" fly boxes which not only look and feel great they also float. I'll shoot you an e-mail with a pix.
Bill

I also shp Blue fly Cafe, good prices good selection.

These are great bargains, but an occasional $20 spent in a professional shop will more than likely buy you $100 worth of local and timely knowlege of whats going on in the area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts