Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The discussion about Lucky Crafts reminded me about the times I walk by that great big bin of discounted fishing lures or am otherwise left wondering about the real cheap off-brand lures you can buy. Crankbaits are particularly pricey, of course, and I have to admit that I have succombed to the routine of trying what I know or what I have heard is working at the expense of trying these other lures which might save some serious bucks. Of course, there is also the fact that technique or the current conditions are every bit as important as the lure selection itself.

So what inexpensive lures have you had success with?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I mostly bass fish so.... Wiggle warts, matzuo seekers, bombers, bandits ( but the quality has gone down since the chinese are making them ), and normans. These baits run 3 to 5$

·
Registered
664 Posts
most cheap copy cat spoons and spinners will get the job done but may have lower quality hooks and paint finishes.

As far as good companies that sell cheaper stuff, I like storm, blue fox, and matzuo.

Still...you can't beat real senkos (as mentioned) daredevles, rapalas, etc etc.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Although I am a big fan of Lucky Craft and such, I would be the first to argue it is more about knowing fish location, depth and mood than about brand name. If your talking about bass fishing, I think many of the cheaper soft plastic baits (senko knockoffs, tubes in the bargain bin, etc) do just fine.

But I am partial to my senkos. ;D

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I have to admit I don't know much about senkos, they seem to have appeared on the bass seen in the last 10 years or so when I wasn't looking ;D. My bass fishing is almost all small mouth - tubes, crank baits or surface baits, any favorite senko colors for small mouth?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I put a ? mark there, because I was trying to recall a species here I havin't caught snap jigging a Kastmaster! I even caught a Tiger Musky on one by accident.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about something like these lures which are only $1.99 a piece at Cabela's?

Or how about the Cabela's brand?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Talo- Number 238.  A dark smoke hologram color with silver and blue flake.  Sportmans carries this color.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Neal and Kirby thanks, I'm working on warmwater technique... like Ken says the waiting to see if anything bit yet is tough when your blonde.

Work2fish - Lakers?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TAL0362 said:
Work2fish - Lakers?
TAL,

Yes, that's what I was thinking, too. I've used flatfish/lazy ikes/kwikfish for lakers and they kind of remind me of those...

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Pot o Gold spoons (most places 99 cents), made right here in Colorado (Berthod)

and one of my favorite lures, a gitzit randone spinner. They  immatate a Mepps Black Fury. They are sold at Wal-Mart for about a buck fifty. If anyone sees these in the 1/4 once size, PLEASE pm me w/ the store location. I lose alot of lures. Plus I keep them in my 3 seperate tackle boxes.  :-[  Thanks.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Personally, the only thing that I have found to be worth buying the name brand stuff is spinners. Mepps and Panther Martin (though not extremely expensive compared to cranks for ex.) have out performed every cheap spinner that I have bought. If not just in strikes, in the longevity of the lure itself.

Other than that, I make my own walleye/pike spinners and buy cheap jigs. I rarely fish with cranks, but just looking at the different brands - it appears that you get what you pay for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts