Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some pointer up at Cheeseman Canyon. What's a good fly to use. Never been there, where should I go, or be looking for. Taken a newbe with me so, please give me something that will help him.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Uh oh, this has the potential to be a long thread....

Before i go into it, check out some of the past posts...i know this one has been covered before....lots of guys here fish Cheeseman.

in one sentence though think sight fishing small flies, light tippet, and tight line nymphing under an indicator...if you cant find any good info in past posts PM me and ill send you some.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Are you new to fly fishing or just new to the Canyon? If you are a beginner fly fisherman I recommend Waterton instead of Cheeseman. Its less technical and the fish arent as fincky there.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If your going into the canyon, I would say you have two worth while options. The first good stretch is right when you get into the canyon. There's a spot right where the trail dumps in known as the family hole. A lot of fish around there but since its the most accesible area it gets hammered. The second option is to walk all the way up the dam. This is about 4 miles each way...def a treck. This is not to say there are no fish between the two locations I mentioned, but the begginning and the end have always been my most productive areas. As for flies, I left a post about it the last time I fished it. Really no secret flies...scuds in olive and tan (14-16 at the entrance to the canyon and 12-14 towards the dam). Midges I would suggest (black beauties, cream CDC midge pupas, jujabee midges etc). Another one worth trying is a crane fly larva in a size 4. During the swing give it small strips and hold on tight. Kind of a hit or miss pattern, but I've had some amazing days on this pattern. Just because crane flies aren't hatching, it doesnt mean their larva isn't in the water. On the whole, there isn't really any secret flies, it's all the winter stuff. If you want more specific patterns let me know. I would focus more on where and how you're fishing then what your fishing. Long leaders, 6x floro is a must. Don't be lazy, be stealthy and always know that one bad cast or one sudden movement to abrupt will put a feeding fish down in the canyon. It's not easy water, but I enjoy the challenge of cheeseman. Hope this helps and good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts