Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Nope, but considering a trip for a change of scenery, if I go I'll post up a report skunk or no.

Love that place, specifically the upper portion.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'll be interested in the fishing as well. Haven't fished the canyon since late 90's. Someone told me that there is now a paved parking lot! That's too bad as that was what kept the numbers down in the canyon.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'll be interested in the fishing as well. Haven't fished the canyon since late 90's. Someone told me that there is now a paved parking lot! That's too bad as that was what kept the numbers down in the canyon.
yeah its on a blind turn so they put a sign up to slow down for people

·
Registered
225 Posts
Its in typical Winter Conditions right now. Last storm got good snow up there.

Low flow, technical. Small bugs. Had a good midge hatch the last couple times up there. I did throw a streamer a while (only had a couple takers). Mostly though, it was midges and cased caddis etc.

I suggest midweek as the weekends are ridiculous right now. Even Fridays are weekends these days.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm headed there on Friday. I could post up a report maybe.
Cheesman was great Yesterday. There was a decent midge hatch but the fish weren't on them. The RS2 was the fly of the day, any color in sizes 20-24. Egg patterns and small baetis or midge patterns (top secret, black beauty, barr's emerger, jujubaetis) also worked. Crowds weren't bad at all. I saw redds in pretty much every calmer and/or shallower area of the canyon. The water is very clear so they are easy to see. Lots of big fish are still on the feed.

Full report: http://flyfishinginco.blogspot.com/2015/03/cheesman-canyon.html

·
Registered
244 Posts
yeah its on a blind turn so they put a sign up to slow down for people
Yep, those slow down signs work well, just like speed limit signs.

Anyhow, thanks for the update on the hatches. I used to run the RS2 off a big heavy stone in spring. Funny how many big bows succumbed to the stone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts