Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volunteers Needed - Cheesman Canyon/Gill Trail Project - May 20th -
To volunteer - contact any of the following individuals from the Cutthroat Chapter:
Harry Hall at [email protected] (303-221-0048)
Joe Snoy at [email protected] (303-688-8541)
Kent Higgins at [email protected] (303-791-1163)

The Gill Trail is currently the only access into the roadless, steep and rocky, 3 mile long Cheesman Canyon through which flows a world-renowned Gold-Medal designated trout stream. It attracts some 25,000 anglers per year.

For 2006 Denver Water plans to reopen the upper parking lot with access to the upper canyon trail for Memorial Day weekend (this area has been closed to the public since 9/11). The reopening is contingent upon the previously closed access trail being rehabilitated and rerouted to bypass the security area around Cheesman Dam. Resources from several concerned organizations, including the Cutthroat Chapter, are coordinating work efforts to meet that date. Here's the plan:

1. Denver Water will remove all fallen branches and trees including residual Hayman fire debris.
2. The Coalition for the Upper South Platte will work on trail erosion an vegetation removal.
3. Cutthroat Chapter has been allocated a 600 section of the access trail to rehabilitate. The work days are planned for Saturday April 15th and May 20th. Volunteers should meet at 8 AM at Deckers in the parking lot to the north of Flies and Lies - tools will be provided. Wear suitable work clothing including boots, gloves and bring plenty of water (also rain gear or suntan lotion depending on the weather).
4. Canyon Stewards- recognizing that routine maintenance will be needed the Cutthroat Chapter is seeking 6-8 volunteers to function as "Canyon Stewards" whose job will be to visit the canyon once a month, answer questions and make notes of what maintenance actions need to be performed. The Canyon Stewards will be provided with some form of visible identification such as a distinctive vest, etc.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Too bad they cant put in an escalator while they are at it...that hill is rough after a day on the river, it seems to get steeper and steeper all the time ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
man that hill sucks i had to crawl up it one time took me like 3 times of sliding on my butt to finally move enough gravel to get a foot hold pain in the @$$ he he if not an escalator a rope at least worst part after getting up the hill is u still got walk to the car man i love fishing

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm heading into the canyon a week from today.  I have fished the South Platte 4 times in the last couple of weeks, and have been skunked every time.  I'm a greenhorn at fly fishing, so I'm not exspecting miracles, but if i have to come back from another unproductive trip and put the gear up next my spinnig tackle that I know I can catch fish with, I'm might just hang myself with my fly line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts