Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about if anyone ones when this lake will reopen? It has been closed since the hayman fire two years ago. I'm sure that there are plenty of nice fish swimming around in there now just waiting to be caught. I have always liked this place because the water is so clear and blue with nice scenary. I have had some good success with the trout and salmon there and even seen some nice pike pulled out.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I don't know when they are going to re-open but I was told that that lake is one of the best lakes in the state but you can't put any kind of boat on it. I know a guy who fished the lake on a boat with the care taker. He said it is a unbelievable fishery. He said that there is some monster smallmouth in that lake.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I called denver water and they told me no opening this year.Maybe next year,maybe not.I can tell you from personal experience that there used to be huge fish of all kinds in there.My bud ralf has a 11 lb brown on the wall from there.I've caught 20" smallys there.A 27" splake!You dont need a boat,the lake is so deep that most fish are near the shoreline.Cant wait till it opens.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Sounds like a good lake. Why is it closed after the fire?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The DOW reports say it remains closed to fishing because of a remaining danger from still-standing burned snags.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Denver water board is just using the hayman as an excuse to keep it closed. Every lake has stumps and debris for crying out loud. And no boats? Man these guys have quite an agenda.
I am going to be writing a not so cordial but still dilpomatic letter to the Denver Water Board. I am going to tell them what the public thinks of them, refute with solid evidence every one of their baseless arguments. I will say if they don't comply that I will go straight to recalling the officials who appointed them.
I would really like it if some of you signed the letter with me. Any volunteers? Let's clean up the Denver Water Board. They may indeed be the worst in the state, bar possibly Colorado Springs.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i would sign it. just give me the info

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Stae record smallie is there I bet. Along with the state record Pike!!!! It would almost be worth it to sneak out there in a bellie boat but I know I would get caught. ;D

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I must disagree with allowing boats on cheeseman. The place is a fishing oasis away from the noise and stink and crowding of most of todays lakes!Except for the area near the main parking lot,the other 85% of the shoreline requires a substantial hike.One can go there on a saturday or sunday and be virtually alone.If theyre willing to hike a little. Now if they just open it,Ill be happy! NO BOATS!!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Hey Slayer, have you ever hiked around to the inlet there? I would imagine some huge browns show up in October?

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Ive fished the south platte inlet several times in the fall,caught many bos to 22" and lakers to 30" but only small browns.Most all our browns have been caught mid-lake on down to the dam. They seem to like the deep water.I have fished that place maybe 150 times!For years it was my secret honey-hole.I'm not afraid to publish that fact cause most people are scared of the walk.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I would like to hike into the inlet in late fall to see what shows up come spawning time! Let me know if would like to join me?

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
If the lake is closed theres not much sense cause then you can only fish legally in the river above Cheese.And once you get down there,the temptation to fish downstream into the reservoir will be too much and we WILL be tresspassing.On the other hand,that doesnt sound too bad!All those fish to ourselves!Its a long ways off-we'll talk.

·
Banned
487 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I must disagree with allowing boats on cheeseman. The place is a fishing oasis away from the noise and stink and crowding of most of todays lakes!Except for the area near the main parking lot,the other 85% of the shoreline requires a substantial hike.One can go there on a saturday or sunday and be virtually alone.If theyre willing to hike a little. Now if they just open it,Ill be happy! NO BOATS!!

When I say boating on water supply lakes, I mean NON MOTORIZED or electric motor. No gas motors.

·
Banned
487 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
If the lake is closed theres not much sense cause then you can only fish legally in the river above Cheese.And once you get down there,the temptation to fish downstream into the reservoir will be too much and we WILL be tresspassing.On the other hand,that doesnt sound too bad!All those fish to ourselves!Its a long ways off-we'll talk.
Pretty ironic they could cite you for trespass on public property. I am writing the letter this week to Denver Water and while it will be professional and I won't call names, it will be harsh and I will not mince words or be cordial. Their rules and other city utility rules cannot be tolerated. Recall time.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
How far of a hike was it to the inlet tried it once from some 4-wheel roads but got lost and ended up at the lake.
Theres 2 ways to the south platte inlet.Both require a 4 or 5 mile hike.You can go down FR360 from Westcreek and then down to the gate on Turkey creek.Walk through the gate and follow the road to the right.It goes up and down and all around.Just keep truckin and youll get there.The other way is pretty much requires a dirt bike and then hiking.You stay on FR360 till you come to a well-used dirt road. Go right and follow this road (it gets REAL bad!) till the sign says stop.You used to be able to go all the way to the river,but they closed it about 10 years ago.Anyway,once you get to the river its a good 4 miles down to the lake.With all that said,the Hayman fire charred everything so who knows?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts