Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me directions to Cheesman Reservoir from the Denver Metro area? Do you have to hike a little to get their or can you drive right to it? Is it worth the drive and/or hike|? Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think you might be better off hiking into the canyon and fishing the river.
There is some big trout in there! never fished the res.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
There is no Cheeseman Res. anymore. They drained it so they could, uh, mine it for gold. Yeah thats it. ::) Plus you wouldn't like the hike anyway. It is a couple hours long with sizzling heat bears everywhere, big bull snakes all over the place and there wasn't anyfish in it anyway. ;D

·
Registered
674 Posts
They kept that lake closed for what now 4 years? When they do finally reopen it I am definetly there. Therer are some really nice smallies as well as some big trout in there. I have heard that there are kokes in there but I don't now if this is a rumor or if it has any truth to it. Did the fire and ash affect the fish in there at all?

·
Registered
230 Posts
the lake used to be full of Kokes... they havent stocked it in a long time so there are no more... perhaps they will stock more when they open it. it was a great fishery and will probably be even better once they open it as it has had no pressure since the Haymen fire. camo fatigues... hadnt thought about doing that...

·
Registered
83 Posts
roth2000 said:
They kept that lake closed for what now 4 years?  When they do finally reopen it I am definetly there.  Therer are some really nice smallies as well as some big trout in there.  I have heard that there are kokes in there but I don't now if this is a rumor or if it has any truth to it.  Did the fire and ash affect the fish in there at all?

The kokanee in there used to grow to a pretty good size (13" - 16"). In the fall, when they would swim up goose creek to spawn they were in there so thick you could almost reach out and net them if you wanted to. It was common to see people limit out with that early September run.

I can't wait for that place to reopen, even though I heard it looks like a moonscape now.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Here's a pic of the Cheese from near Lost Creek in Sept 2004. You tell me why it's still closed!!!????
So the fish can get bigger, for when I go up there and catch them when it opens?

M

·
0 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Here's a pic of the Cheese from near Lost Creek in Sept 2004. You tell me why it's still closed!!!????
All the reports I've heard are because of "still standing snags". Denver Water is probably afraid of a tree falling on someone. I wouldn't be surprised if they cut them all down like they did at Buffalo Creek before they let anyone in.

I think there are a few of us waiting to hit the "holdovers"!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TU was doing some work up there removing trees, something called Trees 4 Trout. Anyone one the forum a TU member, and was involved in this? Got any insight on whats been going on up there?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I might know a gut that knows a guy that can assure you the fish population is alive and well...or at least as of about a year and a half ago. I think he might know somebody that works or worked for the Denver water board. That's all I'm gonna say about it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ive been thinking of hiking into the river by the inlet but don't want to go down there to find out its miles of private property. Hopefuly I will get to check out the canyon upstream from cheesman though this summer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts