Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was nice getting out on open water for the first time this year. I don't ice fish because I love to ski. Fished from 3pm-10pm. Water temp was around 47 already! Shad balls were already easy to spot. Water was extra murky even for the Crack, if I'm not mistaken. This average one (& the only one) was shallow. I suspect this one tested with a short strike & then committed to the entire fathead which I had hooked thru the lips. I marked lots of nice eyes in 18-23 FOW. Side imaging didn't see very many in the shallows & neither did my spotlight but the water is extremely murky so I'm not sure it would have worked. I normally avoid this place because this is my typical success rate when visiting a couple of times a year. It seems those who know it can do very well consistently. Not me. Chatfield is very close to home but they've been slow to open this year. Hopefully I'll have a decent Chatfield, Aurora, or Quincy report soon.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thank you for posting a real report. I sure hope it is the first of many.... I don't get on here much anymore due to being preoccupied surfing on freegaytube.com so I don't fish much anymore.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The real puzzle, when it comes to CC water temps is, at launch 6:20 AM Monday, water temp was at 36, and 46 at 2:00 PM. That being the surface temps. Now with this snow/sleet Im sure it has cooled back down again. No aerators on as yet, and not many power boats/wave action to mix the warmer water either. While the lake was capped, water visibility was near 3 feet, and now only about 1. IMO I know the lake about as good as anyone. But the start of this year is something I have not observed before. That I am aware of there have been a total of 4 walleyes caught that were over the 18 inch mark. Two from shore. When locating shad balls, did catch 18 or so that were 9-10 inch (fed some to the eagles) Would have liked to get a video of that, but as a camera man I totally suck. Have seen where a 20" eye had a 8.5 inch shad in its stomach. If any of the big Hens are eating any of those, they being a lot less active might only go looking for something to eat once a week or maybe even longer.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Love the pic of the Fathead on a short strike, classic.

It's March, the waters cold, we've had a lot of unstable weather, and it's almost spawn time for these Eyes. Catching numbers of fish right now is going to be tough. As water warms and conditions start to stabilize, the fishing will get much, much better. When you start marking fish on your electronics in 10 to 15 fow on the edges of structure, you'll notice more active fish willing to bite.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Chatty has been slow for me. Water temps on Monday were 43-44 deg. The big problem with Chatty is one of the best spots on the dam is a mutha to reach from shore. (Oh and the Death-Rap... I mean Rip-Rap.)I made it to the East side once and probably wont try that again at night. Wish I knew then what I know now.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Did you happen to be slip bobbering?' I'm hitting the shores tonight and am wondering if it's worth toting around a second rod and some minnows to cast out with a slip bobber while I hunt for big mommas with husky jerks and x raps.

Nice fish!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Did you happen to be slip bobbering?' I'm hitting the shores tonight and am wondering if it's worth toting around a second rod and some minnows to cast out with a slip bobber while I hunt for big mommas with husky jerks and x raps.

Nice fish!
If I were using minnows on slip bobber, I would set it at 2-3 foot, and not far off the shore, while casting jerks and raps, along the dam, oh and I would keep in touch with that rod, and light drag.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
If you see fat, hairy guy with a bears hat, don't shoot him--its not a sasquatch.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ha I'll only shoot if that Sasquatch is holding a 10+ pounder out of jealousy. But I will be out at cherry creek on the damn if anyone is interested in meeting up. I'll be in a green arctic armor suit with a camo hat on.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Nice fish!
Probably not a bad idea if you aren't walking too much. My system the other night was similar to the slip bobber. This is not a normal practice for me. I just wanted to try something other than deep water blades on/around humps/contours, & aside from my go to coldwater method of working stickbaits & jerkbaits slow & shallow in the dark. Similar to the slip bobber, I used a planer board with flag, followed by a split shot & a size 6 or 8 hook thru the lips. Speed was about 0.3mph. Under a stationary bobber I don't think you need the lip piercings if you can poke elsewhere and still keep them happy.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The real puzzle, when it comes to CC water temps is, at launch 6:20 AM Monday, water temp was at 36, and 46 at 2:00 PM. That being the surface temps. Now with this snow/sleet Im sure it has cooled back down again. No aerators on as yet, and not many power boats/wave action to mix the warmer water either. While the lake was capped, water visibility was near 3 feet, and now only about 1. IMO I know the lake about as good as anyone. But the start of this year is something I have not observed before. That I am aware of there have been a total of 4 walleyes caught that were over the 18 inch mark. Two from shore. When locating shad balls, did catch 18 or so that were 9-10 inch (fed some to the eagles) Would have liked to get a video of that, but as a camera man I totally suck. Have seen where a 20" eye had a 8.5 inch shad in its stomach. If any of the big Hens are eating any of those, they being a lot less active might only go looking for something to eat once a week or maybe even longer.
Crazy surface temp changes you observed! But it sounds like you've been there on enough typical days to see a rarity like that as well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not that much of a swing, next time out think if I remember the slow thermo. Like to see how much of a difference at 20-23 feet and the surface, I see shad holding at like 9-10 feet. At least during the day.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I was out there. r1f1eman was that you that passed me on the trail?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts