Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sensing abit of a " conspiracy" from all of the "metro" anglers out there, since there's been little to no mention of the fishing @ Cherry Creek.

Well let me, let the cat out of the bag, by saying "WOW" what a fine fishery! Some of the best walleye fishing I've ever had in Colorado. :)

Fished Wed, from 7a.m. till 10a.m. and caught 20 or so. These fish are all solid, and very healthy. Jigged with half a crawler, in the area between the two bouys, straight out "East" of the Marina. There's abit of a ledge out there and in goes from 10 to 20 ft. in a heart beat. Fish ranged between 14 and 22inches, and like I said before, these fish are healthy!!!! Some of those 16inchers about ripped the rod right out of your hand.

Today, fished between 6:15 & 10:15, caught 15. Brought my 9 yr. old son, and boy did we have a blast. After catching 6 or 7 smaller fish, the look on his eyes as he's standing at the side of the boat, with the net, as I raise a 22incher from the depths of the Creek, is priceless! EXACT WORDS: " Dad, that's a big one! as to which I replied, " I know, can you handle the net?" Jermey answers, "Don't worry dad, I've got it" and he did. To all the dads out there, we get a few moments in life that will be forever engrained in our minds with our kids, and this was one of them. Man the smile on his face. As a hockey guy, "an assist is just as good as a goal", especially out on the boat. And we celebrated together, just as if we scored the game winner to win the cup!

Man was it cool!

So to recap, 7 hour of fishing, 35 walleyes. 6 were between 19 and 22inches, another 6 between 16-18, and the rest 13-16. Blue and white jig outfished everything the first day, with plain white doing better the second. Main water depth was 12 ft. Move, but simply let it drag on the bottom, and make sure the drags are set right, cus they hit hard. a few of the more " cooler" boats around, and you guys know what I mean, said it's been like this the past couple of weeks.

Too bad the holiday weekend is coming up, cus it'll be a zoo. :mad:

Later, Johnny-O

·
Registered
636 Posts
that's what I like to hear. You make a fine young fisherman out of your boy. Good to hear Cherry Creek isn't being so scary lately.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess some of the "regulars" have really been nailing them the past couple of weeks. Yeah, I really gotta work on getting my son stoked on fishing, cus his twin sister usually kicks his a**, every time. It was a perfect morning, just " the boys".

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Hell ya. We're going out there on Saturday night and on Tues Im taking my Mom on the boat to fish for the first time in her life, Man I Hope the bite holds over the weekend.

Thanks for the boost

-Jay

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
What a great day fishing with your son! Hope you got some nice pics to remember it by! I was out there on thursday night and did not do as good as you did but did catch a nice walleye. Like you said it hit hard and fought. Very atypical for a walleye!

I wish ths was not a holiday weekend I would love to get back out there and try the areas that you did

Dan.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, I 'm not going anywhere near that place this weekend. I might hit it again Tues. morning. Jay, maybe I'll see ya out there. I don't know how it'll be after 3 days of holiday traffic. I have a 16ft Lowe, will probably have one of my daughters with me this time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Fished CC last night July 1st. Put the boat on about 7:30 P.M wind and rain had scared all the pleasure boaters off the lake. Wind died down about dark. Caught 3 walleye and 1 crappie in front of the tower. Caught last bigger walleye between the island and the tire line at the Marinra. Overall wish I would have brought some bait probably would have done better. Fished small crankbaits at 1.8 to 2.0 mph. Fish jigs alng some of the drops along the way no action I think tipped with a minnow or worm might have been the ticket. Noticed the lake was full of shad fry. When we pulled off the lake left a light shinning on the boat to assist loading and water just filled with fry. Left about 11sh only 2 trailers in the east parking lot. mine and some guys that went catfishing. They looked setup to hits some cats so hopefully they did well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts