Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Cherry Creek from 6p-10p with my oldest son Mark tonight.  Beautiful night on the lake,  cooler than sitting at home.  Gentle breeze and not too crowded. 

We tried the marina first cuz it was closest to the ramp (the crappie should be turning on there soon too) nothing.  Tried the sunken island, nothing.  Trolled down the dam.  Hooked a couple of 8-10 inch crappie on small rattletraps in 15-20 feet of water, I ran them behind a bottom bouncer to get down to depth.  Trolled the old river channel after that tried to hit drop offs, nothing except one hit on a shad rap, my son lost it before we could see it.  Seemed pretty small probably a small crappie.

Mosquitos are getting kinda thick out there, be sure bring plenty of bug spray.

Water:72 degrees
Clarity: lots of algae, about 2 feet
Wind: light on arrival, calm on departure

Beautiful evening with my son.  Beautiful evening fishing.  The fish I caught were too small to post pics of, but still fun to catch.

I think the crappie bite is just beginning to start and should be in full swing soon.

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
We also fished there last night. 10pm-5am. We got skunked. Only had 1 bite all night. We did mark alot of fish but nothing doing. I know ive said this before and many others have too: There are to many shad in there. There were times when we were in 12ft of water and the sonar showed shad top to bottom. I think ill add this to the excuse thread.

-Jay

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was out there yesterday also, 7/9 but fishing from shore before sunrise. I tried the east boat ramp area, then the loop by the dam, then at the west marina.

skunked again. Nobody there were catching anything and a boater couple
I spoke with said that they marked plenty of fish on their fish-finder but nothing was biting for them, either.

Oh well. There's always next weekend...

Gene

·
Registered
214 Posts
It seems as though when the DOW posts that a certain lake is the "hot spot".....chances are that by the time you find out about it, it's too late!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts