Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some errands to run stopped by Cherry Creek walleye tournament for the day 1 weigh in...about 60 boats in the 2 day tourney...they split it into 2 groups with the first half of boats going off at 7 am and weighing in at 3:30 and the 2nd group going off at 7:30 and weighing in at 4...in the first group the largest bag limit was 5 fish weighing 14.4 pounds with the big fish 4.18 pounds and in the 2nd group the largest 5 fish limit was 13.8 pounds and the big fish was 4.01 pounds...bumped into Donald...him and Gene couldnt quite find a 5th keeper and weighed 4 fish for 11.8 pounds...one more keeper and they would of been right there and they are there with a great day tomorrow...you can do it Donald and Gene!...Jeff and Kevin struggled stayed with blades too long...they are going to join the pack and do deep water lead core trolling bite that it seemed the successful ones did on the first day...talking to Donald sounds like fish were shallow until the cold front...not sure if I am going out there for the day 2 weigh in but it will be at the same time if you are interested it is at the west ramp at the same time...good luck Donald, Gene, Kevin and Jeff...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Went out there about 3:00pm to check it out. Man, what a lot of nice walleye boats! Saw a bunch of nice fish being weighed and released. :). It was neat to see the CWA setup.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I didnt go today...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I did. Kevin and Jeff didn't weigh a fish today. As Jeff said, that's the way it goes sometimes. Donald came in 8th yesterday, and I believe 11th today with nice bags for both days. A big eye of 9.62 lbs was weighed along with 4 other keepers to win todays fishing!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah a team that blanked got 5 fish for 21.8 pounds...Donald/Gene ended up 6th overall and got a check I think...what I havent been able to find out was the overall winning bag weight for 2 days...Donald said they got 6 pounder today...but only 3 fish today...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Team Mueller won for the 2nd straight year. 26.44 lbs for their 2 day total. Those guys are the real deal, congrats to them!!! We ended up with 11.52/4 fish Saturday, 10.29/3 fish today. 21.81 lbs for 2 days, 8th overall. Our big fish was 5.09 lbs, our downfall was not being able to put together a limit either day. Pretty tough to catch good fish consistently out there right now!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I checked it out today too, & I 2nd the nice boats comment. There were some VERY expensive rigs out there, I think I spent 45minutes just in the parking lot! Nice to see that there were quite a few limits and good fish caught over the weekend ( during the day :) Shows what a solid fishery CC really is.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Congratulations Rick, (WALLEYEGUTS) and Dave for the first place win and 9.62 lb fish on Sunday!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
they are going to join the pack and do deep water lead core trolling bite that it seemed the successful ones did on the first day...
Isn't that how that tourney is won every year..? Then again, it seems like the weather is pretty brutal there every year. Nice averages on those fish and donald, sounds like you guys were right there with just a few more fish.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Chad We did great pre-fishing catching plenty of keepers Friday but on Saturday we caught plenty of fish but no keepers and then what a day Sunday it was my partners first tournament and he got the big fish and we actually had to throw an over back so I believe we still would have gotten first.Would of gave anything for a couple fish Saturday.
What a roller coaster ride! And yes hats off to the Muellers

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Congrats to Donald! He and Gene ground it out and produced every day! I caught lots of shorts but nothing to weigh:mad: I wasted the first half day of day one ripping blades and rattle baits, which is what I caught fish on in practice. I finally gave up and pulled leadcore like everyone else. Thank god I don't have to come back to that place again this year, lol.

Congrats Walleye Guts! That was the most impressive come back I have ever seen!!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks a lot Neal
I thought last years weather was worse, old partner and I got 7th the first day and 8th over all with 5 fish total.I have to say the people running the CWA tournaments are great people.My partner had a great time it was awesome to watch him land his biggest walleye ever in my crappie(the fish) boat.

Oh and Chad it was John that was my partner.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks we took good care of her.Called the weigh master right after we caught her cause it was real early to see if we could weigh it right away and release it and were told we had to wait till the first flight weighs in so I put her in the front well and cleaned the back well out cause it was storage as to put fish in and kept fresh water pumping in and only trolled even all the way to weigh in as to not beat them up and all the fish were pissed off alive so I'm sure she's fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Of coarse if we were one fish short and had to fish till the last minute I'm sure we all would of took a beating.So we were all lucky that day.

·
Registered
767 Posts
We sucked it up BAD but it was still a fun tourney! Great job on keeping that big girl so happy - sorry I couldn't come in and weigh her but I had to be fair to all teams. Because you guys did a great job with her, she's still out there! That was the biggest one day weight I can remember - that would have been a great bag on Big Mac let alone Creek!
Great to see everyone and meet a few new teams! Pueblo is up next on May 2nd and 3rd and it sounds like the bite should be great... Sign up and join the fun!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts