Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up front I'll admit I don't know much about Denver but I had a meeting there today and drove past Cherry Creek Res. Looks like a fair size lake but I never hear anything on this board about the fishing there? Why is it not as popular as Chatfield? Fishing not as good, not as many fish? ???

Just curious,
Walt

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
The fish are there, but problem is... They're always full. The guys on this forum has been trying, but from the looks of it, the lake has been brutal to even the die-hards.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
From what ive been told; there are some many shad in there that the fish have no problem finding food which makes it hard for a fisherman/woman to catch fish.

-JAy

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I actually live right by cherry creek. I fish there pretty often. On weekends i tend to go farther to do my fishing. When the water warms up a lil more fishing for crappie is going to be really good. You can catch your limit everyday for about 10 days to two weeks. Thats when they are spawing. Dixon's grove, The Marina are good places to catch them. My favorite place is on the dam. Its not as crowded and they bite pretty good there. About 4-5 years ago i use to see people leaving with the limit on wipers. Im not sure what happened but i dont see that any more. Last year i saw about 10 wipers come out of that lake. They where catch by people wading out by the dam using top water lures. But every one of them where really big fish over 5lbs easy. I went out there the other night and one guy was night fishing with a light bobber at the marina he caught 5 crappies on minnows.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
HookNLine said:
About 4-5 years ago i use to see people leaving with the limit on wipers. Im not sure what happened but i dont see that any more.
I think you answered your own question/.

-Jay

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I dont know maybe they havent stocked it with wipers recently. I seen people catchin good numbers of crappies every year during spawn and all through fall and winter right in front of the tower. I see way more crappies coming out the lake than wipers and the fishing for crappies there is also decent at the right time of year there. How do i get a stocking report on certain lakes for just wipers?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
HookNLine said:
I dont know maybe  they havent stocked it with wipers recently. I seen people catchin good numbers of crappies every year during spawn and all through fall and winter right in front of the tower. I see way more crappies coming out the lake than wipers and the fishing for crappies there is also decent at the right time of year there. How do i get a stocking report on certain lakes for just wipers?
Beats me, I've been wondering how to obtain that information myself too.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
HookNLine said:
they havent stocked it with wipers recently.
Maybe they spent all their money on that dam fun house they built there, or what ever that is. CC used to be a great place to fish but now half the lake has a dam gate around it!!!

-JAy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts