Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being skunked 2x and a stressful day , decided to try the Creek once again. Success ! 1 17" and 1 18" keeper ! Leeches seem to be the food of choice last night. The bite seems to be picking up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Aww shucks, we're going to let the cat outta the bag. I too found SUCCESS at Cherry Creek last night at around 11pm. Fishing from shore by the point (near the marina), slip sinker, crawler... and YES INDEED, the skunk is over. Appears as though the Walleye's have moved in!!! I caught 1 17"er, and a couple of folks next to me caught 3 'eyes! How long will this last??? Seems like they only stay in close for 2 or 3 weeks, so I hope to catch a few every night for the next couple of weeks!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Fat little bugger! Looks like they're eating well in the creek.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stomache on that fish only had 1 night crawler in it . other wise empty , maybe they ate all the shad and now there hungry again. I hope.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
CCFTRoy said:
  How long will this last???  Seems like they only stay in close for 2 or 3 weeks, so I hope to catch a few every night for the next couple of weeks!
Its my understanding that the walleye will come up close in low light situations.  ex: cloudy, or night.  It shouldn't matter what time of year, it's just the nature of the fish.  Their eyes are ultra sensitive to the light, so they become nocternal in a sense.  But the feeding is on at night or in darker light situations all year round.  In the day, they can be found shallow sometimes, but usually will be down deep trying to keep the light out of their eyes.  This is the information as was handed to me.  I would appreciate clarification if there is any false detail I have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
By the way, bueatiful fish Craig. Nice fat hog for supper!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Fishing_Fiend said:
CCFTRoy said:
  How long will this last???  Seems like they only stay in close for 2 or 3 weeks, so I hope to catch a few every night for the next couple of weeks!
Its my understanding that the walleye will come up close in low light situations.  ex: cloudy, or night.  It shouldn't matter what time of year, it's just the nature of the fish.  Their eyes are ultra sensitive to the light, so they become nocternal in a sense.  But the feeding is on at night or in darker light situations all year round.  In the day, they can be found shallow sometimes, but usually will be down deep trying to keep the light out of their eyes.  This is the information as was handed to me.  I would appreciate clarification if there is any false detail I have mentioned.

Roy

I think the sensitivity thing is way over done? They feed alot at night because they have a huge sight advantage at night. They have evolved to have superior eyesight at night than other fish. So they tend be more nocturnal the bigger they get.

That said i have caught lots of eye's in the middle of the day in shallow water. Concentrate on weededges, flooded timber and mudlines during the day, if fishing shallow.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Thanks Neal. Thats exactly the clarification I was asking for. There are too many people that know more on the subject than I and I'm always ready to find out more.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
fishing fiend- at juniata, the only reservoir with a sufficient walleye population on the west slope, it is fly lure only and no wading or anything...I have found the best fishing on a fairly steep dropping bank when a storm is coming and the wind blows really hard, causing huge waves knocking off red dirt and at this particular spot it gets a mudline everytime right at the drop off. I hammered them last year when this happened...I can't wait for it this year :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the temp of Cherry Creek is now 60 and seems like those eyes are getting hungry ! Let's get out there and get some, I will be fishing Creek 4 days in a row. F,S,S,M , early , early morning and 5pm to after dark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Caught another 'eye last night near the point over by the marina. 18 1/2". Just drowning crawlers w/ slip sinkers. Caught it at around 11pm. A guy next to me caught a FAT walleye prolly 22+" at around midnight, casting and reeling a light (white/yellow/lt. purple) Jig Head with White Twister Tail. Best fish I've seen caught out of the Creek this year. I'll be the chubby guy off the point (shore) with a couple of poles in the water. Good Luck! Gotta love the walleyes.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
When you guys say point, are you talking about the marina area cement part with the picnic tables/benches??? I caught wipers and walleyes from there but it's tough fishing.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I thought the LEGAL keeper length at C.C. was 18" (as is the rest of the metro lakes) Perhaps I'm wrong..... let me know.

JIMI R.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts