Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was hot but it was worth it. Caught a 9.8 lb wiper on the bottom using a leech. I Lent someone my camera so i couldnt take a picture. I also had another one break me off. I went into the sportsmans warehouse and the weighted it for me. I forgot the guys name but he took me to where they spool the lines and he had one of those rapela digital scales. Everyday for the past 4 days some on the dam has caught a 10lb range

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't work too far from this lake. Might have to put in a few hours on the way home sometime this week. I've caught wipers at Union, and they were strong, but something in the 7-10lb. range must take it to a whole new level.

What type of gear do you peeps usually use for these bigger wipers? I've got some sturdy gear I use for LM Bass (Hvy. action rod, baitcasting reels with 17lb. test). Just wondering if the water at Cherry creek is super clear and requires a lighter (or fluorocarbon) line.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was fishing on the dam. I parked on the marina side, walked down the dirt path onto the dam. I went last night because i heard some guys were catching wallyeyes on the dam at night. No body caught any walleyes last night but the guys out there said it has been decent night fishing on the dam lately. One guy caught a catfish in the 15-20lb range, i bet he didnt enjoy carrying that thing out on the rocks late at night lol. Your question about heavy tackle u can do fine with 8lb or lighter line just as long as u set your drag really loose. If u use 17lb test youll have any easier time bringing the big ones in.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use both leeches on one pole and crawfish tail on the other pole. If you go during day dont forget to bring a pole to jig with just in case the crappies come in. I fish cherry creek alot cause its right by my house every year around this time the crappies come right up to the dam. They havent yet but they will some time soon.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So do you just put the leeches and crawfish on hooks on the bottom and let it sit there ? Sorry for so many questions I only have fished for trout before , but I tasted my first walleye and yum! Like you I am always at cherry creek I live very close as well . Thanks again for info

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i use two rods one different bait on each. If u dont mind night fishing im going to be there around 930 tonight i have to close up shop, shoot me a message if u wanna go. They are biting decent at night a guy caught 5 two nights ago. I actually just got back from there, had to sneak in a fishing lunch break. I was fishing from shore and caught a small walleye. A guy out in a bellyboat right in front of me caught 2 keepers, so i went up to my car and grab the belly boat. Five minutes in the water BAM 18.5' walleye. I caught that one with a jig head with a leech on it just draggin on the bottom. That was it now im back at work. O yea the guy at sportsman that weight my fish the other day today me he caught a 15lb catfish from the creek, i was on my way out so i didnt get to see the pic he had.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i fish both actually sometimes the west is really crowded. They swim along the dam so i doesnt really matter which side. I fished on the tower side this afternoon and im going to go on the tower side again tonight. Two nights ago when i went out the west side of the damn was packed it sucks cause u cant move around.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Thats pretty funny on the crowds...the Aurora dam is a hoot...has to be a mile long...easy walking...a dam built like an amplitheatre...cut concrete steps...but still have 10,000 people in the first 300 yards and then next to no one for the rest of the way...I am soooo glad that people are lazy!!!

Hook and Line...I may have to tag with some night in the near future if you dont mind...I have walked Creek in the dark many nights chasing walleyes but it has been awhile...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when ever your ready let me know i usually get off work not till 9 but i can always make exceptions for fishing lol. I just got back actually it was a slow night tonight one guy caught one im not sure it was 18 he kept it. I caught one about 10 let it go. I went in from the tower side the west side has been too crowed the last few nights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fished by the point near the marina last night and caught a small walleye (about 12in.). Just letting a nightcrawler lay near the bottom. Learned a very valuable lesson about making sure my line (& knots) are tied TIGHTLY. Hooked in to something... it only had it for about 2-3 seconds, it ran with it,... and snapped my line! (right at the knot near the swivel). CRAP! I can now only imagine what it could've been.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had the BEST evening of fishing ever at Cherry Creek Res. on Friday Night. I fished from 6:30pm till about 1 in the morning, simply using a slip sinker with a nightcrawler... and caught 4 walleyes off the shore near the marina! 3 of the 4 were small (12 inches+),... and 1 was an absolute beauty! I'd say 4 - 5 lbs.! Easily 22-26 inches. I took a picture, and will post it as soon as I get it on disk!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts