Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate if anyone could give me some info/tips on fishing Cherry Creek. I have a boat and normally troll for walleyes with bottom bouncer rigs. I have not been out there this year and would like to hear any recent reports or advice from other anglers. I will be fishing for walleyes, wipers, trout...anything that bites.
Thanks!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I used to fish Cherry Creek every weekend until like 2003. i used to nail the trout and bluegill by west picnic shelters and lost a nice catfish last year. I was using a crawdad tail and he swallowed it and started slowly swimming off but I didn't get the hook set, it pulled out. I have also fished off of the dock by the marina but never has any luck. The best place IMO is by the sunken island by the dam. I've nailed trout, perch, and bass there and almost caught a pike. It looked like a pike and not a muskie. Never caught a walleye or wiper there though. That place is just tough now.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
That place is just tough now.
Your right about that brother. I hear their pulling out a bunch of shad and taking them else-where. I hope will help. There are so many shad in there it crazy. We'd be in the boat and shine the spot light in the water while going from spot to spot and the water would just start to boil. Once we held the light right in front of the boat while cruising and they were jumping out of the water and hitting the boat. Some even jumped into the boat.

-Jay

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hope that helps but I thought I head they were taking 900 to place elsewhere. This will not even be a dent. With all those shad to eat there must be some bigguns in there, I just can't find em.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
You can find them you just won't be able to get them to hit. Picture this: The biggest walleye you ever did see sitting on the bottom but wait there is another one right next to it and it is bigger then the first walleye and in between and all around the two walleye are thousands of shad. All either one of those walleye have to do for a meal is turn right, left, up, or down and suck in real hard. So why are they going to go after your crawler harness? Same problem at Pueblo.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Cherry Creek used to have some pike, but I think they are victims of the DOW once again.
I think pike need to be introduced in here to make a dent in the shad. Tiger muskies will not be numerous enough. I also think that white bass would really help too. They can be a lot more numerous than wiper and will really thin out the shad.
These two fish would really improve if they are stocked. They could naturally reproduce I am sure, both whities and pike.
You need numerous predators to thin out excess baitfish.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
ok im saying this but i dont want you to get pissed

maybe they dont want to over stock with pike or wiper
because they dont know whats going to happen in the future
with low water and a bad winter freeze all the young shad
will die and then you will be crying to save the pike and wiper
so if you stop and think maybe someone in the DOW is thinking about this and they dont want to stock alot of fish that will or might have to starve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts