Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the Creek today and was quite disappointed at the condition of the ice.  Sixty degree days aren't healthy at all.  Slushy on top and lots of bubbles coming through the ice.  Needless to say, I punched a hole at the end of the West boat ramp cause I was too spooked to walk on the ice.  Nothing biting today.  Brought my Road Bike in the van and scrapped fishing and went on a bike ride instead.  Hope things improve.  Did see people out on the ice fishing by the tower.  Glad they had more guts then I did.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The good thing about ice fishing in weather like this is after you fall through and successfully pull yourself out you can then strip and lay on a rock to warm up. Glad you didn't have to do that. 70 degrees on Christmas day is obscene enough. I'm afraid ice fishing down here is going to be shot until the next big freeze. It's times like this that we look west and thank God that good ice is not far away.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sandy, what did you try? Bait/lure wise?

·
Registered
555 Posts
 (Did see people out on the ice fishing by the tower.  Glad they had more guts than I did.)

More guts, but perhaps less common sense, it's good to hear that you used good judgement, unlike some who still go out even when conditions deteriorate, to where it's not safe.  The sad thing is that just last Saturday, fishing reports/shows on the radio were telling listeners that the ice was fine and should be for a while (guess they either hadn't heard the forcast or gotten out of their offices for the past several weeks).
  Hey, look on the bright side, if the warm weather continues, the lakes might open early again for boating, just like last year.  After all, there's plenty of safe ice up in the mountains and will be for months.  Take care, Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
374 Posts
about that brains part.i would say something but i wont,being that it was probably me sitting there on the tower killin the crappies,sittin on 5-6" of SOLID ICE!!!.careful what you say on here,alot of people listen,if youre afraid of the ice FINE,but dont be saying that people that tend to get out on it when they know its safe dont have BRAINS!!! ::)

·
Registered
555 Posts
JohnnyO19 said:
any size to the crappies?

I apologize, I modified my message, as I should have chosen my words more carefully and will try to do so in the future.  I recently fished Wolford, up at around 8500 feet and it just had 6-8" late last week, at best.  When it comes to fish size and ice thickness, many people overestimate.  I would be very suprised if any of the local reservoirs of any size, (Chatfield, Cherry Creek or Aurora) had uniform, 5-6 solid inches of ice, as it's been above freezing for quite some time.  Melting ice, when the temps stay above freezing is not the same as on bodies of water where the temps get down into the low 20's, teens or lower at night.  What I was aluding/referring to was the type of fishermen, who I see out on the ice one day and the next, a thin layer of ice or even open water, right where they had previously been, the day before (that happens on Chatfield's ponds all the time).  Just because someone doesn't fall through, doesn't neccessarily mean that the ice was safe, usually, that's just being plain lucky.  Those who do that sort of thing routinely are taking a very large risk for a few fish and are pushing their luck.  If they have the proper gear with them, well, they can probably handle the situation, even if they do fall through.  Unfortunately, many, if not most, do not.
  A few years back, I remember hearing about a few individuals that fell through at Cherry Creek when fishing on what they thought was safe ice.  Again, if you are fishing on known ice (a solid 4" or better), I was not referring to you.  Just be careful out there and good luck.   

·
Registered
374 Posts
many small 8-10"ers then a couple 13's.they tasted great.15ft below the ice.the vex helped greatly.use very small jigs tipped with waxies and an indicator.they are biting very light.my bigger ones came on bigger jig though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
sorry i jumped all over ya.i didnt htink you were directing it at me.i do take recovery gear with me always and have gotten wet before(not saying thats a trophy or something).but i stay as safe as i can while being crazy as i can.either way what really pisses me off is the people that brought their young children out on the ice at the creek this weekend.the edges are VERY weak right now and they were just letting em jump all over it.i know its pretty shallow on the shore but a bad experience like that can really harm a child for life.those people need to think before they do.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Piker,
I deserved some of what you dished out, no offense taken, at all. I should have been more specific and less general in my characterization.
You are the type of individual that knows the risks and as such, hopes for the best but is prepared for the worst (nothing wrong with that). If you do get wet, the worst that could happen is a little bit of an unexpected cold bath is all. After drying things up, you and the gear are as good as new, no harm, no foul.
And I hear ya', it's one for an adult to risk falling in, but to bring kids on those type of conditions, where they both do not know the dangers or how to react, well, we see things exactly the same there.
As far as your catch, congrats! I'll be honest, one time I pushed being on the ice too late up north (in late March), in MN (the ice was fine but a strong wind came up (40-50 mph) and moved the sheet 30-40 feet off of shore. I had brought my neoprene waders just in case and carried about 20 people or so to shore in about 4 feet of water. So, I guess one could say I'm living in a glass house and throwing stones. But I prefer to see it as living and learning. Again, you're also prepared so, good luck and take care. Happy Holidays!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts