Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is fishing reports, but I had something happen yesterday. And I'm not sure how I should feel. I pull my boat up to the ramp to get out. I tie up, walk up to my car. While walking up to my car, the Park ranger pulls up with a trailer. I pull back down to the ramp with my trailer.The ranger put his trailer in the water in front of my boat and walks away. The other side was busy, and i'm standing there not able to get my boat out with no ranger in site. Finally after 25 mins, he show up with the Park Ranger boat. Should I have said something? Should I let this bother me? I don't know how I feel. Your feed back would be great.

M

·
0 Posts
I would just shrug it off. Unfortunately, I've found that at the local lakes you have to be a lot more tolerant of that kind of stuff (as frustrating as it can be).

Hopefully the fishing was good!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ramp courtesy should used by all parties using them ie. fisherman, water sports people and rangers. The only exception for the Rangers would be if they were pulling the boat to take it elsewhere in an emergency. However, 25 minutes is a little lengthy. Politely approaching the Ranger on the subject may be a way to prevent it from happening to others.
Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
A tactful comment is appropriate.  It sounds as if he was not taking care of official business that pulled him away rom the matter of trailering a boat.  Especially since you mentioned the boat showed up 20 minutes after he blocked you.

Did you consider letting him know that you were blocked?

Dan

L

·
0 Posts
Simple solution,

Open the vehicle door on the ranger vehicle, put transmission in neutral, release parking brake and walk away. Of course I would enjoy a violent physical confrontation with an armed ranger but I've learned tolerance as I've gotten older.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Dan, I stood there and couldn't believe what was happen. I was shocked, seeing he saw me walking up to get my trailer. It was one of those things where I just went  Wow! This didn't just happen. I didn't want a make a big deal out of it. I just wanted to know how you guys would have felt. This was a Parker Ranger, you would think he would know better.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
hahaha  I like the way Laker Taker thinks.  Rangers DO know better.  He did it because he figured in his own little Barney Fife way that the little people can wait.

I know a lot of people on this site seem to think the Park rangers are all to be commended on thier efforts, but I do not think you meet them enough.  Either that or I am somehow mysteriously drawn in to the bullies.  Even the ones you can have a conversation with have got thier chests puffed out and thier hand on thier walkie talkie or gun.  I have a ticket in my pocket right now for argueing with one that I shouldn't get a ticket because some stupid kids lit a fire 50 yds up the shore from us.   He threatened to throw me in cuffs if I didn't shut up.  I laughed at him, there was nothing to charge me with.  He told me to take it to court. Waste a couple hundred dollars in time off just to fight a $50 ticket? I call it "TRAPPED" I'm sure there are some "good guys" out there still, but for me. . . . .several bad apples have ruined the entire batch.

Plain and simple your "Ranger" was just a jerk, and I doubt very much that this will be the last time you have to deal with that mentality.

M

·
0 Posts
In my line of work, I've learned over the years, sometimes it's better not to say anything at all. "Yes sir/ma'am" and "no sir/ma'am" as well as "we're going to have to agree to disagree" get you a lot farther in the heat of the moment than challenging someone else's judgement outright.

I'm all for standing up for things I believe in, but sometimes you'll get farther walking away and letting someone else believe they are right (even if you don't agree). Dad always calls it "diplomacy".

Follow the maritime rule of tonage...in this instance, I do believe that a person in a position to enforce laws and make your life miserable (bigger than you), should be dealt with in a diplomatic manner. If you don't agree, either walk away (steer clear) or talk to an objective third party about the circumstances (judge?) otherwise the results could end up making you miserable.

...and always remember - if you're going to put the person down, don't do it within hearing/eyesight distance! ;) (I've heard of officers giving tickets for "illegal use of hand signals")

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well........the wife and I have NEVER had a problem with Park Rangers. But, of course, that is not saying that it will never happen. I learned a long, long time ago that it is much easier to "try" and get along with Park Rangers than to "buck" them. They wear the Badge, the cuffs, have the radios and some carry a firearm..........that is enough to make me be polite to them (even if I think I'm right/their wrong). And, just like a previous posting says, "yes Sir/Ma'am and no Sir/Ma'am" and things will go a lot better. Remember, once those handcuffs are out of their case and on you........you know where you are going!!
As far as the incident goes, I'd just let it go (but that is me).
Cody

1 - 9 of 9 Posts