Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been fishing cherry creek after work alot lately (5 times in the last 2 weeks) NO LUCK!!! I have been mainly fishing with a bubble and worm about 20 to 30 yards off shore. I through out a couple lures as well "panther martins' and a sinking rapala. I have been fishing near the dam and off of the point closer to the swim beach. Any suggestions on what to use, I see huge schools of baitfish come through- should i use minnows?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeager said:
(5 times in the last 2 weeks)  NO LUCK!!!  
Welcome to the world of cherrycreek. Cherrycreek is the best place in the metro area to fish Its just the worst place to catch. I fish CC every year and catching fish there is pretty hard. Everyone keeps telling me to give up on it but im going to figure this place out!!! (Yea right). The problem is there are millions of shad in there so the fish have an ez time feeding.

Ill be out there this year to try try again!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
I have the same luck as you,jay. Even back when I would slay the fish ice fishing there,I'd be real hard pressed to catch anything in open water. I have caught some carp though. I,too will try,try,again.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My biggest walleye came from there. 10.5. Ive also had many days with keeper eyes of 10 to 20 fish. That was like 10yrs ago but I know there are some monsters in there. Anyone want to help me drag a net through there to get rid of some of those shad?

:)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
I've had limited luck. Last year was the first year I actually caught something there. Was fishing from a boat (around the week before Memorial Day) across from the swim beach using 3lb test, with a small live minnow 4 or 5 feet below a bobber (I've built 7 and 5 weight fly rods into spinning rods for bobber fishing). Got a nice slab sized crappie, popped another off and had multiple bites. Tried for the bass bite while it was "hot" per the DOW report and caught nada!

Also have some safety concerns there which caused me to raise the insurance on my boat to $1 million coverage. Something about fishing in 4 fow in the late afternoon and being splashed by the wake of a waterskier (among other happenings). Mentioned it to the park surpervisor and got a respones "sorry you had a bad day".

I'm still a little bitter

M

·
0 Posts
for $20 more, the insurance coverage was worth it. I'll go back, but if anything happens, the insurance company can duke it out.

In the meantime, I'll keep working on catching the crappie and spying those topless boaters with the binoculars :eek:

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill tell you what, There are some nice Crappies in there. I got one early on last year that was a slab. I also got a nice bass off the sunken island there. Aside from that only a few trout.

Before you hit the water load up your boat with some nice sized rocks and if anyone gets to close.......

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Ya know, I went to Chatfield two summers ago and I've never gone back. Caught some smallies is the early am but by 9:30 it looked like a city with all the boats and jet skis on the water. And this was during the week. I'm sure its not so bad early and late in the season.

So color me confused-if Cherry Creek is that bad for boat traffic and you don't often catch anything anyway, why put yourself thru the aggravating experience? :eek:

I used to think Pueblo was bad but since my day on the water at Chatfield, I realize it could be far worse.

M

·
0 Posts
chatfield is best for boating at night or when the weather sucks, if its raining, fish chatfield, otherwise just take out the tube and skis

my first (and only) time at cherry creek, i caught a medium walleye with a green ratltrap first cast off the boat launch while my buddy was backin the boat in...nothign the rest of the day??? who knows

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We fished Chat alot last year at night and did pretty good.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
636 Posts
Scary Creek it just sad nowadays. I used to catch fish left and right out there from shore. The only negative was the jetskiers but when fishing off the dam there is a unlimited supply of rocks to toss at them. I thought the DOW was supposed to remove a crap-load of shad and toss them in other reservoirs?

L

·
0 Posts
Nights, early mornings, late evenings, weekdays, early season(now!) or late season (Oct.-Nov.)
That's my motto on fishing Chatfield and Cherry Creek. I too wish I could have a 45 on board to fill the ski boats with holes, the police just don't approve of my silly methods.

Some boaters are always going to be a$$holes. take for instance last year, I was on Granby, I took a line, put my gear in the water and started trolling. This country club jackoff in a sailboat is sitting sipping chablis on one side of the lake, he decides to run directly to the other side cutting right in front of me. As most know, a boat under power must always give way to a boat without,,, so I had to pull all my gear up and turn to miss this guy.

They're everywhere!

I too fish CC alot, early and late season. I can't claim numbers but I can claim size. Let me know when you go out in your new boat Jay, perhaps we could hook-up and share spots at the dreaded Cherry Creek.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
last year we caught a bunch of 17.98 inch walleyes at the creek, caught maybe 10 keepers(didnt keep em though) caught some big carp too. ya just have to put up with the boaters. we did our best when the water was churned up, seemed to fire the fish up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I fish CC quite often in the spring and summer, it's definatley a tough lake to fish, and as mentioned between the water skiers and the jet skiers sometimes it's almost futile...but some of the biggest walleye Ive caught have come out of CC. Last year a week before memorial day I caught 10 walleye in the morning all over 21 inches and one over twenty five. Trolling along the DAMN can be productive, I also have a few other areas of the lake that at times produce well. While there are some drawbacks to the lake, for me its close to home (10 minutes) and there are definatley big fish....p.s. big wipers in there also.

L

·
0 Posts
Yes there are big wiper in Cherry Creek.

15 lbs. caught in March 2004.

·
Registered
769 Posts
That is a great wiper. I helped the DOW with the walleye spawn at Cherry Creek during March of 2004 and we pulled one wiper out of a gill net that they weighed at 17lbs even. Unfortunately, it had died in the net.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We won't fish at CC, but did put our boat on it a couple of times last summer and just rode around on it for an hour.
Now, we love the trout fishing we did at Chatfield last summer (had no problems with boaters/skiers at all). The trout are in the No Wake area.......so, that might explain the "no problem" thing. This year we will try for some bass, etc. there and see what happens.
Cody (cowboyfisherman)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts