Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,727 Posts
GMCO45 said:
we pulled one wiper out of a gill net that they weighed at 17lbs even.   Unfortunately, it had died in the net.
That's a bummer, you hate to see a fish that size go to waste. Last year was my 1st fishing the creek, and overall, I did pretty well. If I can figure out how to get some picts off my cell phone, I'll post some good ones. I guess timing is everything, we hit it real well around the 4th of July. 10 minutes from my moms house is terrific, even if the fishing is slow.

· Registered
67 Posts
I don't fish CC much anymore because of the waterskiers and a-holes on the jet skis who seem to delight in seeing how close they can get to the fisherman. 

I keep telling myself I should try this.  Rig up for kokanee snagging. I like 20 lb mono with a heavy leaded snagging treble hook.  I suspect if you could wrap that rig around an ankle a 180 lb skier on 20 lb line would put up quite a fight.   I can't find the daily limit listed in the fishing regs or any mention of the snagging season.

· Registered
769 Posts
JohnnyO19 said:
GMCO45 said:
we pulled one wiper out of a gill net that they weighed at 17lbs even.   Unfortunately, it had died in the net.
That's a bummer, you hate to see a fish that size go to waste. Last year was my 1st fishing the creek, and overall, I did pretty well. If I can figure out how to get some picts off my cell phone, I'll post some good ones. I guess timing is everything, we hit it real well around the 4th of July. 10 minutes from my moms house is terrific, even if the fishing is slow.
It did go to waste in the sense that no one had the pleasure of catching it. One of the volunteers did take it
home, so it didn't just get tossed.

· Registered
259 Posts
Just our preference not to fish at CC. Last year someone wrote in the Forum about the water (oil or something in it) and then we keep reading about how difficult it is to catch fish there. We had very little problems catching trout at Chatfield last year. And, all the problems with Wave Runners and other boaters that the guys have while fishing. Does CC have a No Wake area?? That was the area at Chatfield that we caught all of our nice trout........and no boater problems.
Cody

· Registered
6,546 Posts
Yeah it is cold! But the fish are staging right now along the rocks! I only live five minutes from the lake, so I can go home if it is to cold? I think the nets go out on the 15th if the ice is completely gone?

G

·
cowboyfisherman said:
Does CC have a No Wake area??
They do have a no wake area. It isn't that big and it's pretty shallow. Try in the evenings - look for the jet skiers doing donuts around buoys on the southeast side.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
keep trying cherry creek. There are HUGE fish in lakes with a lot of food. I used to hate a lake called "lake X". I fished it and got skunked many a times, many more than I caught nice fish. I knew there were monster pike in there, but with ample carp, suckers, stocker trout, perch, crappie, bluegill, crawdads, insect life, and god knows what else to eat, I knew the pike were just full and monstrous (seen em and caught some fatties). I just kept getting skunked though (with every now and then an 8 or 9 pound pike thrown in on a trip), but I knew if I kept fishing it, I would be rewarded. And icefishing this season, I was. 5 pike over 10 pounds including the biggest pike I've ever seen, maybe not longest (mid 40" range) but never any fatter.
BTW, I know cherry creek has some good fish. My friend fishes cherry creek a lot and has caught some big walleye, wiper, largemouth (I think, maybe he said smallies), and crappie (?) in there. He said last year sucked, but the fish he caught were big. It just makes it more of a challenge to catch numbers of fish when there is so much food in a lake. But when you catch the fish, they are often huge and you are sometimes rewarded for your patience and perserverence.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.