Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

chest waders for fall

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  dallasdb 
#1 ·
still being new I didn't/don't want to spend a million $ (which is ironic at the rate I lose $5-9 lures)...my crappy herters waders were a lot of fun in the summer. I'm having a hard time figuring out how warm/thick I need for fall? I don't want to melt when it's cool but not freezing and I don't see wading through slush/snow. what thickness/insulation level would you recommend? any particular less expensive ones that you think are fairly good?

#6 ·
For real cold wades, I use a thin, non absorbing base layer, an extra heavy weight base layer, then a set of heavy weight fleece. With my normal breathable waders, this has been as warm as anything I have tried. I used to have neoprene waders, but they were tight with a few layers and I wasn't any warmer.

#7 ·
I concur with Oyey. A good pair of breathables with layering underneath works well. I have an old pair of neoprene waders that aren't really any warmer than what I use with my breathables. I haven't worn the neoprene's in over 15 years and with my recent weight loss (30 pounds due to diabetes) they probably won't be as tight as I remember them which was a turn off and made me decide to go the breathable route.

#8 ·
cool, love the feedback. I tried some Herters uninsulated waders while still deciding if fishing was something I was going to do. for the $ they are great...in summer.
is there an entry level priced breathable brand that you guys like? I see seirra trading has some affordable allen co ones but they get mixed reviews on leaks. last thing I want is a leak when I'm layered so I don't even feel it until im saturated.

#10 ·
One thing for sure... they all will leak sometime.

A buddy just bought S*mms and five (5) times on the water and they leak.

I have sent a pair of Orv*s waders back to them every year(for 7 yrs) because of a leak in the seam. (grant it they send me a new pair each time) My original breathable waders I bought back in 1999, still can wear today and no leak. They do seep some but no leaks. Wish they made their waders like they used to. (I think the seepage comes from being dirty, maybe I should figure out how to wash them)

I have cheap ones that have not made it through a season.

I hate buying waders.

Good luck in finding a good quality pair of waders...when you do let me know!

#13 ·
Well, I did... but only because they didn't have the same waders without the front zip. I was sad initially, but after having them for a full year, I must say, I love em. The main reason is because I can get in and out of them so well and they fit PERFECT. My simms were juuuust a tad small in the chest.

Anyways, I got the damn zipper and wanted to hate on it, but I don't lol...

#15 ·
One other feature I love about the Pattys is they have a fold down system in their shoulder straps so you can roll down the top part and wear them as a pant. Again, when I bought these, I heard about this feature, but didn't put much thought into it.. now, I use it constantly and love the feel of pants/suspenders when I don't need warmth or depth.

#19 ·
It's funny... wading boots are such a weird thing. One day I was at a fly shop and I know the owner loosely and I asked... "Why don't they make a cheaper set of wading boots that are nice and light and easy to walk in?"

He had no answer other than they wouldn't last. I guess if I paid $40 for a pair of cheapo wading boots, I wouldn't care if I only got 2-3 seasons out of them. My wading boots are about $120.. they are tough as nails, but they are rather heavy, rather stiff and nothing I would choose to wear for a nice long hike.

I have been seen many times in my waders and my Crocks (liners removed). When I do that, i LOVE the fact that my feet feel light under me... they also stick to rocks pretty well. not sure why I'm rambling about this, but it's an interesting thing to me. I want some light crock style boots or high top tennis shoes with felt soles so bad (with arch support).

#20 ·
they're not so versitile and wouldn't seem so comfy but the cheapo lug soles in the herter's were surprisingly good. I walked a mile, fished 4 hours and walked another mile in em with no complaints. I will say that standing on rocks gets painful, but my back doesn't like me standing on rocks even in good padded running shoes.
most of my summer was spent in teva sandals and/or barefoot. just gotta remember not to have the iphone in my pocket. I already waste enough money on lures, I don't need a new phone too.

#22 ·
I've seen nice felt sole wading boots at the Arc many times. Probably helps that it's in a decent area of town.

I've also seen probably half a dozen Hodgman waders that looked brand new.

I even bought some youth Hodgman waders for $5 but they were too big for my oldest so I sold them on CL for $30!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.