Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Post in the Forum :smile:

The second week of August I will be joining some friends on a backpacking trip into Chicago Basin. They will be doing 14ers and I would like to spend my days fishing.

Searches are coming up empty for information on fishing Twin Lakes and Needle Creek.

Does anyone have experience in the area?

I did call Duranglers and the person I spoke to had not been in the area and didn't have any specifics to pass along except that a 3WT should do the trick.

There are a couple of things I would like to know.

Insights to specifically fishing Twin Lakes.

I plan on bringing waders with me.

...Does the lake have deep holes that would require me to bring an extra spool with a sinking line to get at the fish should they go deep?

...I plan on bringing terrestrials, dry flys and streamers - does this sound correct AND what sizes would you suggest?

...Should I bring a 5WT as well to help deal with the likelihood of windy conditions.

As for Needle Creek, pretty much expecting to be nymphing most of the time.

...Any suggestions on what to have in my box.

Hopefully water conditions will be much better for Colorado this Summer. We were having to jump off the water by noon last July due to the low water flow and warm temperatures.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Never fished that area, but I have fished a lot of the high country and one thing I can tell you is to be prepared for wind. So definitely bring the 5 weight. It should serve you better than the 3 wt at the lakes.

Another thing to add to your arsenal is some chironomids, scuds, and San Juan worms.

We had a ton of snow this past winter, so your experience this year should be much different than last year.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
High lake cuttys in August think dries. Big Tarantulas work well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts