Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
We used to go up in July or August. Park at Summit lake and hike down and camp for a couple of days. That or hike up from Idaho Springs Res, about 6-7 miles. Either way, long hike but the trout fishing was always good, that's all we ate while camping there. Probably still snowed in this time of year, just look up at Mt. Evans and see what it looks like. There are a couple of other lakes a couple of miles north around the ridge from the lower lake. Never been to those but always wanted to try them. Check a topo map and you'll see them.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Those lakes will be open by mid-june.Last year they were wide open on june 12th. Park at echo lake. The hike is exactly 5.5 miles from there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I fished echo lake yesterday morning and caught a handfull of 12in trout. It was pretty damn cold when the weather came in but other than that it was pretty fun

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wouldn't venture up there until mid-june, but if you can catch it right when the ice comes off the fishing can be great and there are large cutties for the elevation.

They say in bright spawn colors well into July and are some of the best looking fish you will catch - well worth the hike.

Pack out the trash and keep it prestine for my kids. Good luck

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think they are the colorado river strain, but it is hard for me to tell the exact sub-species. I believe the population is helped out by periodic stocking by plane or horse, but they reproduce naturally as well.

I have seen people camping but no specified sites are built in. The lower lake would probably be best to camp overnight - it is just above treeline with the upper lake (fishes good too) in a deep bowl with not much place to go to get out of the bad weather you can expect to enjoy periodically

·
Registered
113 Posts
We used to pack in and camp between the two lakes. Nice little waterfall between the two and a few trees. Don't take much more than the bare essentials and a two man tent or you'll get tired real quick! We would take very little food and eat the fish we caught mainly and boil water to drink to keep weight in the packs down. Definately roughing it!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
It is a beautiful set-up. Now that I remember it up by the cliff edge is a great spot. Forgot to suggest to Eolus to bring the waterproof boots. It can be super soggy at times.

Cutties Rule!!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
If any of you head up that way and see some Bighorn Sheep.. Please let me know!.. I have drawn a tag for that area this year.
Brett

1 - 12 of 12 Posts